Torn between motors.

BornWyld

I have an 88 DX hatch and am torn on which motor to swap. Right now i have a D15B2 with (supposedly) a B16 head. Unfortunately all my power is high end and i want more oomph off the line. Looking at F22 VTEC or B18A1. I plan on doing a complete teardown and beef up rebuild. Which should i go with or should i just hold off till i find a B18C series VTEC? Kinda partial to DOHC so i'm leaning towards B18 and just building the block till i can find a good priced B18C1-5 head. Thoughts?

RealRabbit

Registered VIP
None if that makes since. You've got to be trolling us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
I honestly think that video is a joke because of the terrible squel it makes hah :D

BornWyld

None if that makes since. You've got to be trolling us.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
What doesn't make sense? Stock block + swapped head, SOHC vs. DOHC, VTEC vs. Non-VTEC? I thought i was pretty straight forward about it. I checked other posts and found tons of info on motor swaps, but none pertaining to my EF series.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
B-series head on a D-series block is what has me confused.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You cant put a B series head on a D series...

BornWyld

My apologies, it's a D16 head. Regardless of that, my main issue is horrid low end torque which is why a want to do a swap. Thanks for the nitpicking but as far as i can see only one person has actually answered the question of which motor would the best to go with.

BornWyld

Haven't really given thought to an HP goal, just kinda going Tim Allen on it (More Power uugh ugh ugh). Budget is on the low side. I plan on buying a non runner from Junkyard as long as it's not cracked and doing a teardown and rebuild over time. Which is why i like the idea of the B18A1 and building up just the block (pistons, rings, etc..) and finding a B18C series head later. To put a name on my goal "wheee, look momma i can go fast"

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Go with a b20 block. More torque.

SpeedTechnik

Nothing but Performance
Registered VIP
Haven't really given thought to an HP goal, just kinda going Tim Allen on it (More Power uugh ugh ugh). Budget is on the low side. I plan on buying a non runner from Junkyard as long as it's not cracked and doing a teardown and rebuild over time. Which is why i like the idea of the B18A1 and building up just the block (pistons, rings, etc..) and finding a B18C series head later. To put a name on my goal "wheee, look momma i can go fast"
If you can find a "good" condition b18a1 frrom the junk, go for it. but if you are looking for a sure thing but you have a small budget you want to keep, you can go for the F20b. It provides 200hp but only 145 torque. If you look properly, you can find it for about $500. A better swap than this would be the H22a wich provides 200hp but 165 torque :D ;)