tranny fluid

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
97 EX 5spd manual

what is the best transmission fluid for my civic?

I was looking at royal purple but I have no idea which kind is for my car,

summit says this one is for my application?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RED-50204/

and then I heard also that I should use whatever the honda one is,

can someone help me out here, I'm not looking for the cheapest one

also how much do I need

thanks guys

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Use Honda MTF. I believe you need somewhere around 2 quarts. Get 3 bottles.

I think your owner's manual should tell you how much it takes. If not, get a Helm's manual. They are all over the web as well. Or get a Haynes from Advanced Auto. They're not nearly as good as Helms but they're pretty decent.

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
Use Honda MTF. I believe you need somewhere around 2 quarts. Get 3 bottles.

I think your owner's manual should tell you how much it takes. If not, get a Helm's manual. They are all over the web as well. Or get a Haynes from Advanced Auto. They're not nearly as good as Helms but they're pretty decent.
is there just one kind of honda mtf?

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Probably, use whatever it says in your owners manual. If you don't have one ask the dealer which you should use.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Some people do use synchromesh. You can use it if you want to. But if you don't have any shifting problems or general transmission problems, you should use Honda MTF. I had a 3rd gear grind when I was shifting at high RPM's so I drained and filled with Honda MTF and it went away. It still grinds if I shift really fast but no where near as bad as it used to. I know my transmission is beat since it's got 216k miles on it.

soon2bsick

Registered VIP
Some people do use synchromesh. You can use it if you want to. But if you don't have any shifting problems or general transmission problems, you should use Honda MTF. I had a 3rd gear grind when I was shifting at high RPM's so I drained and filled with Honda MTF and it went away. It still grinds if I shift really fast but no where near as bad as it used to. I know my transmission is beat since it's got 216k miles on it.
yeah mine has 186k, just was trying to find a good tranny fluid I could pick up locally like the synchromesh so I don't have to order anything online

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I had over 200k when I changed my transmission fluid. You'll be fine with Honda MTF. You don't need anything special.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, if you dont have work done to the trans just run Honda MTF. Its good stuff and you dont have a need to change up. Hit the dealership for some MTF...

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
where is the best place to buy honda mtf?
Dealership. Just walk up to the parts desk and say you need Honda MTF. I think it's like $7/bottle, at least the last time I went which was mid last year. Sorta expensive but it's good stuff and what is recommended. It should be in a grey bottle (like an oil bottle) with a lime green label.

mportedcivicsi

Respected
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dealership. Just walk up to the parts desk and say you need Honda MTF. I think it's like $7/bottle, at least the last time I went which was mid last year. Sorta expensive but it's good stuff and what is recommended. It should be in a grey bottle (like an oil bottle) with a lime green label.
Yep, still right around $7 a quart here...unless you have a parts hook up ;)

Sammo115

It be me, Sammo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Or you can use 10w30 conventional motor oil ;)