tranny not shifting into any gear

Traxxas2oo2

SOHC my DOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
so this is week 3 of my coupe and its giving me a little problem. Today on my way home from work i pull up to a light. stick it in neutral and out of no where i go to put it into 1st after sitting at the light, and the b***h isnt goin! wokring the clutch around and frantically switching it back and forth trying to get it to go into first. nothing. I ended up sticking it into 2nd to get rolling. which it barely got into anywas. then i goto shift to 3rd, i swear i felt like i was gonna break my shifter. It had to take at least 40 pounds + of force to get it to grind into 3rd. every gear was like this, out of nowhere. one minute working fine, the next minute not a damn gere is shifting. I couldnt get it into 4th or 5th either. the only gear that was working properly was reverse. SO heres my question. when I goto leave for work tomorrow, i dont know how im getting out of my driveway. It is seriously stuck in neutral. Almost forgot to add. With the engine shut off it shifts smooth as glass. start the car up and nothing but playing around in nuetral.

Low on tranny fluid? i have not encountered this problem before and therefore have no knowledge about what may be wrong. figured id ask CC and see what we can find out.

ps- If i REALLY need to move the car it will go into gears but only with extremely excessive force that actually bends my shifter. so yea it cant be normal. hope i dont sound like a noob with this post haha

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Traxxas2oo2 said:
so this is week 3 of my coupe and its giving me a little problem. Today on my way home from work i pull up to a light. stick it in neutral and out of no where i go to put it into 1st after sitting at the light, and the b***h isnt goin! wokring the clutch around and frantically switching it back and forth trying to get it to go into first. nothing. I ended up sticking it into 2nd to get rolling. which it barely got into anywas. then i goto shift to 3rd, i swear i felt like i was gonna break my shifter. It had to take at least 40 pounds + of force to get it to grind into 3rd. every gear was like this, out of nowhere. one minute working fine, the next minute not a damn gere is shifting. I couldnt get it into 4th or 5th either. the only gear that was working properly was reverse. SO heres my question. when I goto leave for work tomorrow, i dont know how im getting out of my driveway. It is seriously stuck in neutral. Almost forgot to add. With the engine shut off it shifts smooth as glass. start the car up and nothing but playing around in nuetral.

Low on tranny fluid? i have not encountered this problem before and therefore have no knowledge about what may be wrong. figured id ask CC and see what we can find out.

ps- If i REALLY need to move the car it will go into gears but only with extremely excessive force that actually bends my shifter. so yea it cant be normal. hope i dont sound like a noob with this post haha

alright it can be anumber of things.. 1st go in the car shift into all the gears starting with rev. then 1st,2nd etc.. then start the car if it dosent got into gear from there its probly your clutch.. happen to me be4 i bought a new car drove it home find halfway home it wouldnt shift into any gear unless i pounded it into gear ( most of the clutch springs poped out, and got stuck ).. if its not the clutch then its the transmission syncros.. that happens mostly when you shift from a high gear right 2 a lower gear like from 5th to 3rd.. the tranny needs to be in neutral to do that.. thats about all i know of..

Traxxas2oo2

SOHC my DOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
it worked. thanks dude, i never knew about that trick. glad the s**t is good now haha

Last edited:

Futurerel

Civics' In High Demand
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
EF_CaSe said:
alright it can be anumber of things.. 1st go in the car shift into all the gears starting with rev. then 1st,2nd etc.. then start the car if it dosent got into gear from there its probly your clutch.. happen to me be4 i bought a new car drove it home find halfway home it wouldnt shift into any gear unless i pounded it into gear ( most of the clutch springs poped out, and got stuck ).. if its not the clutch then its the transmission syncros.. that happens mostly when you shift from a high gear right 2 a lower gear like from 5th to 3rd.. the tranny needs to be in neutral to do that.. thats about all i know of..

Good way to explain it
That happen to me before in my coupe sucked ass!

CivicKid95

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I've had the problem getting into first before and as EF_CaSe said, if i shift into reverse first, I can get into first easily. Also, i've had to pump the clutch a few times to get the trans to shift smoothly. My aunts bf taught me that one.

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if i was you id drian the tranny oil they add some 10w 30 motor oil.. some good s**t not synthetic oil.. its not that great for the tranny.. and just shift easy for awhile.. that problem seems to happen to alot of imports..
with my cuz' 300zx its like your playing a game when you shift.. it could be in gear and you can move it around freely.. my old 240sx if i was in rev an went to 1st id have to sit pump the clutch then put it in2 1st..
my civic hasnt had a problem except the tranny seal or a crack in the tranny ( god damn 6puck clutch) yeah i was driving the car to hard and the tranny couldnt hold it.. now it has a leak and its been to cold to fix..

stolle

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would be willing to bet that its your clutch, have you checked the fluid level in the resivoir? be carful "pounding" into gears you can break and bend shift forks if you can get your car moving in 1st or 2nd then you can shift easily into all other gears without even touching the clutch using engine revs. start off in a gear 1st or 2nd accelerate let off the gas take it out of gear and quickly apply slight pressure to whatever gear you want to go to next while your rpms are dropping as soon as you reach the right rpm it should slide right into gear without the clutch if it grinds or wont go into gear blip the throttle and repeat it might take a few times to get it right this is good to know if this ever happens again and no it will not hurt your tranny its how most semis shift all the time....

a quick check to see if your clutch isnt releasing all the way:
start the car in neutral, push the clutch in put in 1st, take it out of 1st in to neutral, bring up the clutch, push the clutch in, try to put in reverse if it grinds or wont go into rev or 1st at ne of those steps then your clutch isnt releasing all the way you have a hydro clutch make sure the fluid is at the right level if its not fill it up (brake fluid is used in the clutch resivoir) if that doesnt fix it try bleeding the system if that doesnt fix it then i dont what will short of buying a new clutch or taking it to a dealer....

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Traxxas2oo2 said:
it worked. thanks dude, i never knew about that trick. glad the s**t is good now haha
what trick worked?? from rev then 1st>?

Traxxas2oo2

SOHC my DOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
the trick i was referring to that worked was with the car off start in reverse and go into 1st, 2nd, etc.. and i did that a few times. Then started the car and it was working fine.

clutch fluid is topped off, i made sure to do those things the day i bought the car and its still full so id think that was ok

the car hasnt done it since i made the post so im thinking it was the synchros i guess like EF case said.

on a side note, the car will always grind going into reverse unless I come to a complete stop, wait a second, put it into 1st gear, and then put it into reverse slowly while releasing the clutch. for example, if i park my car and i have it in neutral, and go to get in say later that day and go straight from neutral to reverse it grinds. gotta go into 1st first and then reverse slowly. I dont know if thats right but as long as i go into 1st like i say its not grinding so thats ok. I hear from a friend of mine who works at honda says its normal for hondas to grind going into reverse because the reverse gear is cut flat, not slanted like the others, so no matter what it will make some sort of sound when shifting to reverse.

Last edited:

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Traxxas2oo2 said:
the trick i was referring to that worked was with the car off start in reverse and go into 1st, 2nd, etc.. and i did that a few times. Then started the car and it was working fine.

clutch fluid is topped off, i made sure to do those things the day i bought the car and its still full so id think that was ok

the car hasnt done it since i made the post so im thinking it was the synchros i guess like EF case said.

on a side note, the car will always grind going into reverse unless I come to a complete stop, wait a second, put it into 1st gear, and then put it into reverse slowly while releasing the clutch. for example, if i park my car and i have it in neutral, and go to get in say later that day and go straight from neutral to reverse it grinds. gotta go into 1st first and then reverse slowly. I dont know if thats right but as long as i go into 1st like i say its not grinding so thats ok. I hear from a friend of mine who works at honda says its normal for hondas to grind going into reverse because the reverse gear is cut flat, not slanted like the others, so no matter what it will make some sort of sound when shifting to reverse.

i have no idead about it grinding everytime and being normal but it could also be your shift linkage.. maybe its bent or just rusted.. you should be fine for awhile with it just come to a stop be4 switching to 1st or rev, i did that in my 240 it worked out fine but in my honda it sometimes makes a grinding sound then grabs.. so i stoped doing that..

Traxxas2oo2

SOHC my DOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
EF_CaSe said:
maybe its bent or just rusted..

hehe one nice thing about florida as long as you dont live right next to the beach. no rust woot =) my car was sold new at a dealership here about 25 miles away and has been within 30 miles of my house since the day it was sold(except for trips lol) I have the papers to prove it. and my car is nice as far as that goes(no rust)

basically im saying i dobut anythings rusted. its probably not normal to grind heavily, and my car doesnt grind real bad, just a little and i mean little clank sound. and like i said i heard this was normal due to the gear being straight cut that it doesnt go into reverse as easily and may make some noise going into the gear. also the reason for the whining sound when backing up. of course these things probably get worse over time so a 10 year old car will make these noises worse then a 3 year old car. as long as its not broken im not sweating it. when it breaks, I wil fix it :lol:

Last edited:

JDMEJ2

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah...mostly likely it's the clutch and the syncros...my cousin had the same problem

EG_CaSe

ScAre CrOw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Traxxas2oo2 said:
hehe one nice thing about florida as long as you dont live right next to the beach. no rust woot =) my car was sold new at a dealership here about 25 miles away and has been within 30 miles of my house since the day it was sold(except for trips lol) I have the papers to prove it. and my car is nice as far as that goes(no rust)

basically im saying i dobut anythings rusted. its probably not normal to grind heavily, and my car doesnt grind real bad, just a little and i mean little clank sound. and like i said i heard this was normal due to the gear being straight cut that it doesnt go into reverse as easily and may make some noise going into the gear. also the reason for the whining sound when backing up. of course these things probably get worse over time so a 10 year old car will make these noises worse then a 3 year old car. as long as its not broken im not sweating it. when it breaks, I wil fix it :lol:

alright u said it dose a slight grind once inawhile, i would use some lucas tranny oil if i was you. or lucas 10w 30 motor oil... my brother just bought a car and when he shifts into 3rd it makes a slight grinding sound but only once inawhile.. he just got the car so tomorrow we plan to fix the problem... ill let you know how it turns out

JDM Blue

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
check your clutch, then check your pressure plate, then your master cylinder, any one of those could be messed up. most likely its your clutch but check all of it anyway.