Tranny problems?

lox

5+ Year Member
Alright, im looking to purchase my bro-in-law civic coupe that's been sitting in his garage for over a year now. The car can start up fine but when put into gear and releasing the clutch the car will go no where and not stall. He hasn't have the time to look into this problem and see whats really broken or needs replacing ever since he got his Si.

I think that what is wrong could be, a blown tranny or needs new axles. I havent hear or encounter this problem before so thats why im asking. Any help would be appreciated before i buy it, thats if i do. In case your wondering, its only 500 bucks, i think its not a bad deal.

Thanks in advance.

vtec95civicsi

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
this might not be the problem but i had a friend that burnt his clutch completely out and it would start and when you let it out while in gear it would just not move and act like it was in nutral. maybe it just needs a clutch but dont go off of my word. and if its only $500 thats a f**kin steal if its in decent shape even if you have to spend a couple hundred on a tranny.

si-hatch86

undesputed slowhatch
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ive had a burnt clutch also do this. axles couldve popped out all the way...blown tranny. the linkage could not be connected right(seen this happen before).

lox

5+ Year Member
ill probably check out the car maybe this week for sure and actually see whats wrong.

Milano01

Old School CC.com'er
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
my guess is the tranny, when my tranny blew out on me, it would into gear but it wouldn't really go anywhere. it was more like you could hear the engine turning but it would be really luggish and take a REALLY long time for it to respond. problem was burnt out clutch with a blown tranny.

KLiK

5+ Year Member
is there some noise from the car, when you are in speed and the car still stands?

jason_guy_yeah

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I would recommend first looking at your axles and the axle nut while the car is in gear and look (Safely). Then check your slave and master cylinder is functional. If not, check the oil in the tranny for metal shavings. If not that then, drop the tranny and check out the clutch. If all these things are operational then, you've got a blown tranny. But, 500 dollars WOW, even if you need another tranny, this is difently a great deal.

fafsa racing

5+ Year Member
Its the clutch. The same thing happen to me... Two things could be worng: (1) its burnt or (2) Its not on right...

lox

5+ Year Member
is there some noise from the car, when you are in speed and the car still stands?
I dont know, havent been over to his house to check the car out. been busy with exams. I might drop by tomorrow, since i will have no more exams. Thanks for the help guys.

KLiK

5+ Year Member
i just hope it's the clucth, 'cause it's cheaper for you...

but depending on the noise, you can hear if it is the tranny that is broken or the clutch...
or maybe, what the others told you, it might be that one of the homokinetics are broken so it spins only that axle!?

lox

5+ Year Member
well it looks like im getting it for 200 bucks only. Car is lowered, rust is starting to bubble up, crappy exhaust, windshield has a crack, and no radio. Im going to pick it up after i save up a bit.

Does anybody knows how much replacing a windshield would cost?

rey rey

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like he traannyy is blowm my car did the same thing with a new cluch and windsheild will run you about 100-150.

lox

5+ Year Member
the window just has a crack in there and i was just wondering how much it is to replace it. Getting the car up and running will be first, then maybe take care of the rust. Ill probably pick it up early feb.