Tranny problems

TRAPTwithAcivic

Me.
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I drive a '00 Civic Ex Coupe. Its a 5spd and 3rd gear tends to "grind" when shifting or downshifting into it. If I am below a certain RPM or speed it doesn't do it. I'm thinking the transmission will need to be replaced? I am hoping its just something small. Was wondering...how much would a new transmission cost?

Anarchi

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im no expert but it sounds like your synchros in the tranny need replacing - this happened to me in 1st gear and I had to get my tranny reconditioned. I left it like it was for a year until my clutch needed replacing to save money.

TRAPTwithAcivic

Me.
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
took it in last night. i was supposed to get it back today but won't get it back till wednesday. inspected the clutch and it was fine so they have to take it somewhere else to look at the transmission. i really needed it back for tomorrow, i hate driving my mom's car. it sucks ass.

TRAPTwithAcivic

Me.
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Anarchi said:
Im no expert but it sounds like your synchros in the tranny need replacing - this happened to me in 1st gear and I had to get my tranny reconditioned. I left it like it was for a year until my clutch needed replacing to save money.
yeah just found out it is the synchros. about how much was it to replace them?

Anarchi

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Im not sure how much they are individually, but if they are going to open the tranny they might as well recondition the whole thing. The whole thing (exluding clutch) cost me $AU1000 which is about $US700.
Something tells me they overcharged a bit :(

TRAPTwithAcivic

Me.
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i'm so mad. the mechanic has had my car since sunday night, and they havent even started working on it. meaning i probably wont get it back till next week. its such an inconvience not having a car and your parents are always going places and you can't use theirs. this is too long without it.

big_dan

the hippy tuner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i had the exact same thing happen to me...
check out your slave cylinder bc it may be leaking tranny fluid...
mine was and i waited to long to get it checked out (bc my dad is a duesh and said it would be fine) and now mt syncros are all messed up, so take it to a dealer or a repair shop asap

TRAPTwithAcivic

Me.
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its already at a retarded shop. its been there since sunday and they havent even started working on it. they said theyd start tuesday, then they said theyd start today. they havent started yet. friend said ill be lucky if i have it back by NEXT friday. which sucks, i made plans for this weekend in which i'd need my car. already messed up my plans for today and tomorrow because i didnt have it. saturday mom is going to be gone so i cant drive her car and cant drive my dads because its a company car, plus i hate SUV's and they both have SUV's. im supposed to go do something with this girl saturday but its all going to be messed up without a car. so i'm going to be sitting around bored all weekend because ill have no way of getting where i want when i want.

rollinj86

Hit the vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you shouldnt have payed for it most civics have problems with the grinding gears could of lasted you a longer time just change the fluid and dont drive it hard it should be good.

big_dan

the hippy tuner
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hey about that GM synchromesh friction modified stuff, where can i get that done at...

will the honda dealership do it or will i have to take it to a gm place?

iamgod

Banned
civicracer_x said:
hey about that GM synchromesh friction modified stuff, where can i get that done at...

will the honda dealership do it or will i have to take it to a gm place?

buy the fluid at a GM dealer and do it yourself

TRAPTwithAcivic

Me.
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
rollinj86 said:
you shouldnt have payed for it most civics have problems with the grinding gears could of lasted you a longer time just change the fluid and dont drive it hard it should be good.
i do drive it hard though. the grinding gears came from where i messed up shifting one too many times. it was bad.