Transmission dipstick (98 civic cx)

xmastertiger

5+ Year Member
I was trying to find the dipstick for my transmission, but i cant find where it is. Everything is stock and i havent touched anything, shouldn't there be a yellow handled dipstick on the left side where the transmission is?

xmastertiger

5+ Year Member
thank you

dont everybody help at once, such an simple question that i need confirmed, but nobody seems to know... am i on the right forums???

RonJ

Banned
If you have a manual transmission, then there is no dipstick to check the fluid level.

Otherwise, look below and forward of the battery:

Chucklee514

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Make sure to include all relevent information in a post. If it's about a transmission dipstick, indicate whether your car has a manual or an automatic transmission. You're more likely to get a quick, correct answer.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
THINK WITH YOUR DIPSTICK, JIMMY!!

:rolf:

manual tranny doesnt have a dipstick. you gotta take the fill bolt off and look inside. the fluid level should be at the bottom of the fill bolt hole

RonJ

Banned
manual tranny doesnt have a dipstick. you gotta take the fill bolt off and look inside. the fluid level should be at the bottom of the fill bolt hole
It may be easier simply to stick a finger into the hole to feel whether the MTF level is right at the bottom of the bolt hole. Do this procedure with the car level.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
there's a lot of things you can stick in the fill bolt hole, but yeah i'd agree with your finger idea :lol:

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i was thinking more like a q-tip but yeah, :nod: works too

xmastertiger

5+ Year Member
alright thanks, i didnt think it was in my car, ill try the bolt idea but hopefully nothing leaks...

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
the fill bolt. not the drain bolt!

SSM_DC5

5+ Year Member
thought i'd ask this question in here since it's transmission dipstick related

the dipstick for my auto tranny comes out with what feels like no effort. shouldn't the dipstick need a bit of a tug for it to come out? I'm positive that i pushed the dipstick all the way in.

should i be worried about a loose dipstick?

RonJ

Banned
the dipstick for my auto tranny comes out with what feels like no effort. shouldn't the dipstick need a bit of a tug for it to come out? I'm positive that i pushed the dipstick all the way in.

should i be worried about a loose dipstick?
This is normal. Odd design in my opinion.

SSM_DC5

5+ Year Member
This is normal. Odd design in my opinion.
thanks for your quick response. and i agree it's an odd design, the engine oil dipstick takes some force to take out....even the 2 dipsticks on my accord take some force to remove. The loose dipstick makes me feel as if dirt can creep in there :( Need to be more careful when detailing the engine bay now=)

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
LMAO THIS THREAD IS CRACKING ME UP!! THINK WITH YOUR DIP STICK JIMMY!! HA HA Love it!!! And the whole qtip/finger comment OMG.. Good Stuf!! lol

paulgoh

5+ Year Member
thanks for your quick response. and i agree it's an odd design, the engine oil dipstick takes some force to take out....even the 2 dipsticks on my accord take some force to remove. The loose dipstick makes me feel as if dirt can creep in there :( Need to be more careful when detailing the engine bay now=)
It might be wise to watch for ATF leak from the dipstick area once in a while. My ATF dipstick's rubber stopper shrank enough that significant amount of ATF leaked all over my transmission for a while. I picked up a rubber stopper from home depot to fix this problem... :p

demarcuspz

5+ Year Member
Wheres the filler located at? (1996 civic dx 5 speed [d16y7] ) wasnt sure by diagram but guessed top left?