transmission filter???

lllllyayolllll

5+ Year Member
I was wondering if anyone knew how to change the transmission filter on a 93 civic ex..? does tha damn thing even have a tranny filter? i looked for the plate u drop and couldnt find it ... appreciate it if someone lets me know...thnx

Gonzo

Tin Foil Member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i dont think they have a tranny filter....

NOFX

I'm NOT eran!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Gonzo said:
i dont think they have a tranny filter....
Autos do.

lllllyayolllll

5+ Year Member
yeah it automatic...i dont even know if thats tha problem, i just figure its tha cheapest thing to try b4 i gotta get it rebuilt. lol... i appreciate tha help

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You don't change a Honda automatic transmission filter.

There's one in there, but you have to disassemble the transmission to remove it. It's mounted horizontally so the clutch sediment and other particles fall down off of it and can be drained out during a transmission fluid service.

lllllyayolllll

5+ Year Member
oh ok... so do u think if i get a drain all tha fluid and replace it, it will fix this problem or is this something else? .. the car sometimes just jumps into neutral while im driving... press tha gas and the car goes no where... just idles real high

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It won't hurt to try.

Changing the fluid is not a repair, it's maintenance. So I wouldn't expect any miracles. But sometimes they happen :what:

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
does it take forever for the gear to engage when you shift from park?

lllllyayolllll

5+ Year Member
well... i think ill do that today then... about how much does it cost to get my tranny rebuilt?... anyone know?

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
3 shaft Honda Auto? About $1000 depending on what's broken/burned/worn out.

whatever price the transmission shop quotes you up front is just for the banner kit. If you burned a planetary, sunshell, clutch basket, etc...it'll be more.

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
lllllyayolllll said:
well... i think ill do that today then... about how much does it cost to get my tranny rebuilt?... anyone know?
If you wanna make a drive I have an auto from an ex you can have for 50 bucks. but I dont wanna ship it.

Trbolvrcrx

Dude wheres my honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I seriously need to tear down an automatic and rebuild it. I need the experiance.

BTW I had no idea that the autos had tranny filters. I need to get my tranny serviced, dont want any demons poppin up. :lol:

Shea

bored
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
sometimes changing the fluid in autos can hurt things more then help if it wasn't done in regular service intervals

Trbolvrcrx

Dude wheres my honda
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Shea said:
sometimes changing the fluid in autos can hurt things more then help if it wasn't done in regular service intervals
Well my trans service isnt too far off the reccomended interval. But I am getting it flushed and filled.

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wow...thats the weirdest question i've ever heard of....glad to know it exist...kudos

lllllyayolllll

5+ Year Member
well... heres tha update on my tranny.... i drained and refilled tha fluid... now its shifting a lil better but still screwed up... takes forever to pick up speed and even when it does... its still shifts late...driveable though...lol...