transmission front seal leak

sweesiong78

5+ Year Member
ok, i have a leak, the mechanic said its the transmission front seal and he charges 350 for the job, which would involve dropping the transmission housing in order to replace the seal inside. does anyone know specifically which seal it is? i'm looking at the service manual:

http://laurenstephens.net/uploads/b2f123685c.pdf

can someone point out to me which seal it is exactly ? i count 3 different types in the diagram.

is it worth it to change the seal? i mean how likely is it that the leak will come back?
is the manual transmission for the 96-00 DX model reliable or prone to problems? the leak was very small but i rather fix a small problem than a large one.

PS:/it is NOT the drive axle seal...mechanic changed that and still had a leak...determined leak was coming from the housing of transaxle. mechanic said he would give me credit for the work already perfomed on the drive axle...ie a discount of about $80 to the $350 job.

knightxrider1

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
no help w you on that picture. and i was going to say axle seal but no. i think anything involving a tranny is going to run you some money. i think 350 sounds reasonable.

sweesiong78

5+ Year Member
no help w you on that picture. and i was going to say axle seal but no. i think anything involving a tranny is going to run you some money. i think 350 sounds reasonable.
thanks, actually i think i now know which is the 'front seal' he's talking about, its # 21 on the diagram, ie on the main shaft. cos the other two seals are the axle seals (#49 and #72) . anyone else care to chip in?

Swee

cheezeonmakneez

love unicorns
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what trans is it for? if its a d series, just go buy a used one for 150 bucks.

sweesiong78

5+ Year Member
yes its a d16y7. wow a used transaxle for $150? in socal? what about the labor to install it? actually i bought this car used, and the mechanic told me that the transaxle had already been replaced. so i was wondering if i should fix the leak or just change it (no guarantee that other transmission wont leak, maybe this one the seal dried out).

also if they do this job, will the clutch be visible? was thinking if i should ask the mechanic to look at the clutch condition since the tranny is already out.