Transmission in 2001 Honda Civic Hesitates

ron666

I have an automatic transmission and drive a 2001 Honda DX four door. Every time I "step on gas," the car hesitates and takes a while to "kick-in.'

This is not a big problem, but this lack of acceleration could be dangerous if I ever needed to accelerate , like for instance, avoiding a collision.

I heard that the 7th generation Civics have something called a "dampener" built into the transmission to stop people from speeding. Is this true? If so then this is the stupidest thing I ever heard.

Thanks

ron666

RonJ

Banned
CEL codes?

Do you mean the transmission flares? What do you mean hesitates?

Do three consecutive drain-refill cycles with Honda ATF with short drives uses ALL the gears in between.

ron666

Thanks for the reply. What I mean by "hesitates" is that when I step on the gas, the car does not accelerate. It waits for a second and then it suddenly does accelerate.

Is there anything I can do?

ron666

RonJ

Banned
What makes you think the problem is the transmission as opposed to the engine?

ron666

What makes you think the problem is the transmission as opposed to the engine?
Hmmm, that's a good question, I never thought that it could be the engine instead. How can I figure out whether it is the engine's or transmission's fault?

ron666

ron666

Any CEL codes? When were the spark plugs last replaced?
Hmmmm, good point! I have not had the spark plugs replaced since the last major tune-up and that was back about four years ago. Thanks for the information.

By the way, what are CEL codes?

ron666