Transmission question, need ideas

ej1loverr

Sup guys so i just got a 2000 civic dx has the d16y7, anyway when i bought the car the transmission was doing some weird grinding noise when the clutch wasn't engaged so i automatically thought about the throw out bearing, tranny was also leaking so instead of trouble shooting and crap i decided to replace the tranny with a lower mileaged one that came outta an ex of the same year, so yesterday i swapped the tranny for the new one with its respective new throw out bearing, after i got done with it went to start the car and the noise didn't go away instead it appears to be louder now so is there anything else that could be causing this ugly annoying noise? loose clutch maybe? messed up flywheel? any info would be of great help!! thanks

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
As a general rule:

Noise when the clutch pressed = throwout bearing
Noise when clutch is not pressed and goes away when you press it = input shaft bearing and in some cases crankshaft bearing.

My guess being that you replaced the transmission is you either got another one that has a bad input shaft bearing or your crankshaft bearing is going.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You may have gotten very unlucky and acquired another transmission with a bad input shaft bearing.

Since you have two transmissions now, it may be worth your time to take one apart and try to replace the ISB on one and see if that fixes the noise.

ej1loverr

Thanks for the info I'll do some research and replace the ISB on my spare one, how hard is it to replace the crankshaft bearing ? do you have to remove oilpan and bring down the crankshaft?

James315

No, you however have to remove the transmission and clutch and look in the center of the flywheel there will be a small almost looks like a bearing for a skateboard wheel there in your case it will probably be in two pieces thats what everyone is talking about.