Transmission won't come off

CanyonCoolMan

So you may know that the clutch on my civic went out. Me and my uncle have been working on the car about once a week. Its been difficult due to rust on alot of the bolt but so far there have been only a few problems. One of the bolts hold the dust cover near the clutch got stripped and is stuck.

We have tried taking off the transmission without removing and only gotten a small gap

What should I do?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
just cut or yank off that plate you can get another one for cheap later on when you go to re install, makes it easier to take the stripped bolt off when you go the transmission off. its fine without it in case your gonna ask if its ok. i've been running without one ever and never had problem even driving thru huge puddle of water where that whole opening would be completely submerged in water.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Cut the bolt head off and you can get the rest out after you remove the transmission. No need to tear up the dust cover.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
but if you cut the head off the bolt you'll be stuck with the bolt shank being stuck in that hole if he wanted to use that hole but then again he can justbe like f**k it and just leave it like that

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
but if you cut the head off the bolt you'll be stuck with the bolt shank being stuck in that hole if he wanted to use that hole but then again he can justbe like f**k it and just leave it like that
If he cuts the head off he can still get the stud out. Just go get a stud removal tool from just about any parts store and voila!

upload_2016-1-21_18-0-32.png

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
yea but in this case hes gonna have to drill it out and re thread it with helicoil i'm certain of that, that plate is rather very thin so very little bit of the shank if any of it stick out at all its only about maybe 1/32 or 3/32 of an in

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
stripped bolts can be removed with the specialty socket made for removing bolts with stripped head those socket are the BOSS i have a set in my tool box and he won't have to do extra work of drilling and re threading or even have to spend extra hrs haggling with that. if he want to use the cover. people been saying all kinda of excuse if why a motor need XXXX parts/covers and etc. 99% of the time is just speculation of what they might have thought was the reason. they just cover things so they don't have things all exposed. no other real reason. i can say that with confident since i've been working in the field for 10yrs now as a auto technician.(my profession/hobby/and lifestyle) i only cut bolts if there literally no other way at all. he can just cut the bolt and leave it like that if he wanted to just trying to save the guy from having to do unnecessary extra work thats all and those cover are super cheap and easy to find and get. haven't been working few yrs now since my injuries i got in a accident back in 2013

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
been working in the field for 10yrs now as a auto technician.(my profession/hobby/and lifestyle)
I was that same person until 2010. Left the automotive field, went to IT and Ill never look back. WAY more money, work from home and I don't get dirty. Do I still love it, absolutely, do I want to do it for a living anymore, NOPE.

Not to mention my ASE certifications expired back in 2009/2010 and I wasn't paying to renew them.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
I was that same person until 2010. Left the automotive field, went to IT and Ill never look back. WAY more money, work from home and I don't get dirty. Do I still love it, absolutely, do I want to do it for a living anymore, NOPE.

Not to mention my ASE certifications expired back in 2009/2010 and I wasn't paying to renew them.
yea i guess you grew tired of that life. honestly i don't see my self doing anything else but build race motors and race cars. like any other typical asain parents they wanted me to be a doctor. whats even crazyier is that my old boss was like me to except he did what he parents wanted him to do and that was being a doctor. he was a doctor for 15yrs and got feed up with it and he always wanted to a tech and have his own garage. hopefully i will my have my shop open soon i still have my settlement case going on and i'm due some biggg cashhh.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
i don't care if i chip my nail or break it.. its gonna grow back i lost a pinky nail before.

nd4sped

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
yea i guess you grew tired of that life. honestly i don't see my self doing anything else but build race motors and race cars.
Not really and I was doing the same thing. At that time I laid my hands on virtually anything that made over 400hp stock. Typical customers were EVO's, STI, 240 wraps, etc. I did get a couple GTR's, 99 Ferrari F355, and so on.

Reason I left was because of the recession going on from 2008-2010. Plus I wasn't happy only making $45-$50k a year. So now I chill at home, rarely leave for work and make double what I used to. Life is good.

Diana Nam

Respected
Registered VIP
Not really and I was doing the same thing. At that time I laid my hands on virtually anything that made over 400hp stock. Typical customers were EVO's, STI, 240 wraps, etc. I did get a couple GTR's, 99 Ferrari F355, and so on.

Reason I left was because of the recession going on from 2008-2010. Plus I wasn't happy only making $45-$50k a year. So now I chill at home, rarely leave for work and make double what I used to. Life is good.
oh ok. thats sooo awsome you got to work on a gtr and the f355..... that. yea 08-10 sucked. same for me aside all my honda head friends most of close friend owns cars like those evo, sti, 240. few old bimmer. right now i'm also doing a 1jzgte swap into a 87 E28 for him. and now his also thinking about pulling out his sr20det out of his 240 so he can put it in the cressida lol

Attachments