Tread Wear Ratings

2kstreetcivic

Runnin to Redline
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
alright I have heard mixed stories about tread wear...Will your tires wear more if the number is higher or lower...and what is a pretty average tread wear rating...thanks

thoughthard

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The tire with the higher rating should wear slower. Keep in mind that the manufacturer sets the number, so a tire with a similar rating from another company pry will wear differently.

An average rating...300? I dunno.

Declectic

SeanJohn1802
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bump for an accurate answer, i wanna know as well

EL PAALO

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by thoughthard
The tire with the higher rating should wear slower. Keep in mind that the manufacturer sets the number, so a tire with a similar rating from another company pry will wear differently.

An average rating...300? I dunno.
He's correct.
No such thing as an average rating, unless you want to tally it. 300 is good for the semi-performance tires you're probably buying.

2kstreetcivic

Runnin to Redline
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by EL PAALO
He's correct.
No such thing as an average rating, unless you want to tally it. 300 is good for the semi-performance tires you're probably buying.
Cool thanks thats what I thought but someone tried to tell my brother we would lucky if we got 15,000 miles out of new Yoko Parada Spec-2s, and I disagreed with him because the treadwear for those tires are 300 and I thought that with that tread rating we could get 20,000 out of it if we didnt drive our car like a race car every day...I have like 4,500 miles of good driving on them right now and they look fine..thanks again

thoughthard

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
This seems to be a constant thing I found on the Internet explaining the UTQG ratings...

The treadwear grade is a comparative rating based on the wear rate of the tire when tested under controlled conditions on a specified government test course. For example, a tire graded 150 would wear one-and-a-half (1-1/2) times as well on the government course as a tire graded 100.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
ok first, the numbers are NOT government graded, they are graded by the companies, and are NOT equavalent between manufacturers. the higher the number, the harder the compound, and longer it will last. it will also have less traction and ride rougher. softer (lower numbers) wear faster but have more traction. ditto for the tempature and other ratings you see, they are arbitrarily assigned by t he manufacturer. so a treadwear of 200 for one company might be a 150 for another and a 250 for a third. tires made by the same manufacturer may have different ratings, when in fact they are the same, the manufacturer just wants to make one look better so they can charge more. there are no standards or gov't oversight to the ratings.

EL PAALO

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by handlebarsfsr
ok first, the numbers are NOT government graded, they are graded by the companies, and are NOT equavalent between manufacturers. the higher the number, the harder the compound, and longer it will last. it will also have less traction and ride rougher. softer (lower numbers) wear faster but have more traction. ditto for the tempature and other ratings you see, they are arbitrarily assigned by t he manufacturer. so a treadwear of 200 for one company might be a 150 for another and a 250 for a third. tires made by the same manufacturer may have different ratings, when in fact they are the same, the manufacturer just wants to make one look better so they can charge more. there are no standards or gov't oversight to the ratings.
I agree for the most part.
Here's where I disagree:
  • Ride quality is not solely based on whether the compound is soft or hard. Sidewall stiffness plays a large roll too.
  • Sidewall stiffness also has alot to do with traction/grip.
  • For the most part, the treadwear ratings within a single manufacturer's line are fairly accurate, from what I've seen.