Trunk Lock Installation Issue (1997 2DR)

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So my trunk wasn't latching correctly, so I removed the locking mechanism and found that when positioned correctly it could work. Unfortunately, I found out during assembly that I'm unable to attach the cylinder rod from the lock cylinder to the hole on the trunk lock. I don't think anything is broken, I'm just having enough trouble applying enough force at the right angle. The cylinder rod moves freely, and there's only a small hole to work through, so without many tools I'm having difficulties.

The only tool I've tried to use is needle-nose pliers. I've also tried holding the rod and pushing the trunk lock on by hand, but I couldn't get enough force. Does anyone have suggestions on what tools to use, or an alternative method to what I've tried?

The Civic is a '97 Coupe.

Here are some pictures of the situation:

And here's what I'm talking about from the service manual:

fwdpower

No traction though.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
You should try to focus your camera better. It would be easier for us to see what your talking about.

Chucklee514

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Try a piece of pipe that the rod fits snuggly into. Or, locking pliers. It's hard to get enough force from needle nose pliers.

c_diddy

drove through a tree
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I know what you're talking about. It's possible as I've done it before, but it's been so long that I can't remember what I did.....Sorry.

I may be wrong since I can't remember how it's set up, but here's one thing I can think of:
Loosen the rod on the other end and then attach it to the lock. Then tighten it down on the other end.

If that doesn't work, then it may be that you just have to play around with it.

whoopnip

Some Delicious Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Sorry about the blurry pics, I took them late last night and I was fed up with the thing and wanted to go to bed.

Well I actually took the whole rod out and found that the actual locking mechanism is the tab that fits around the rod after it's been slid into the hole. I was able to get that with a screwdriver and an extra pair of hands. Unfortunately, it turns out my lock is indeed broken, and it's not just a position issue. But I've ordered a new trunk lock, and hopefully now I shouldn't have any problems putting it on.

Thanks!