Trying to decide on engine swap

daltonshirley68

Okay guys I have a ? I have a 92 honda civic hatchback cx and I am wanting to do a engine swap but don't have much money should I go with a hirer d series so I can put turbo and stuff in it or should I just save up for a b series I just want to go a little faster than the stick engine were I can beat some people in a race bit don't have much money to spend

Sent from my SM-G530R4 using Tapatalk

dancam

Registered VIP
You started a thread on how to tubo this motor and another about what engine to swap in? Have you decided which your doing yet or do you want peoples opinion on weather you should swap and turbo or just turbo this one?
You want to double this engines power which requires a lot of work, but an engine swap plus turbo is a lot of work too. Why not buy a faster car? You can probably pick up an early 90's car with 200hp for less than what your proposing here

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Okay guys I have a 92 honda civic hatchback cx and I am wanting to do a engine swap but don't have much money. Should I go with a higher d-series so I can put turbo and stuff in it or should I just save up for a b series? I just want to go a little faster than the stick engine where I can beat some people in a race. I don't have much money to spend.
We need far more details and you need to be much more specific on several things. Using terms like "don't have much money" and "race" in the same topic is a recipe for a blown engine from being pushed passed its logical use. There is a big difference between having a turbo'd D-series (depending on the D engine) and an all-motor B-Series. Speed isn't just about horse power but how its put to the wheels in a wide range. If you're unaware of the difference between the two build options, then its in your best interest to research your butt off. Any option you can possibly think has been discussed hundreds of times all over the internet. The only way to accomplish any of those two builds on a low budget is by doing most of the work yourself, if you're capable. If not, be humble and admit it or you WILL waste more money in the process.

You also need to ask much more specific questions and avoid vague terms. Any potential option isn't just swapping parts like you're playing with Legos. Educate yourself with what each options process entails. If you don't care to know then start getting estimates from reputable shops.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Also, Civics are not performance cars. If you intend to truly "race" by definition, then prepare to drop $4000-$6000 or more to upgrade to a proper performance tuned engine.

dancam

Registered VIP
Also, Civics are not performance cars. If you intend to truly "race" by definition, then prepare to drop $4000-$6000 or more to upgrade to a proper performance tuned engine.
Can a 91 civic transmission handle 200hp? Generally if you double the cars power you have to do something with the brakes and suspension as well. Which costs a lot.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Can a 91 civic transmission handle 200hp? Generally if you double the cars power you have to do something with the brakes and suspension as well. Which costs a lot.

yes it can handle it and more, it's been done over and over, with both cable and hydraulic civic transmissions.

Like you said, you should address brakes and suspension at that power level. As far as it costing a lot, it depends on the route you take to resolve it. There are expensive bolt on applications and there are OEM upgrades as far as brakes. Koni/GC has been a great and cost effective suspension upgrade for years and years....

xxBLOOD88SHOTxx

Surge Master
Registered VIP
Why don't you like, get your priorities in order?

You're broke but you want to go street racing potentially getting a ticket or breaking your car, neither of which you can afford to handle at this moment.

david512

Start saving. Go to car meets/swaps to find parts. Like everyone has stated...reseach,research, research. Know what you want. Low end torque b20, high reviving - high power b18c. Make sure you get your plan together and stick with it. Any variance along the way can exponentially raise cost. I try to always find someone who has sunk a bunch of money and time in these things but has gotten bored and wants a quick liquidation. Forged parts for turbo engines always has been the rule of thumb...unless that's changed. Not really a turbo enthusiast. And still saving the 5grand for the super charger. Good luck.

Mr.Baker

Mr. Search
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Why don't you like, get your priorities in order?

You're broke but you want to go street racing potentially getting a ticket or breaking your car, neither of which you can afford to handle at this moment.

Sums it up right there.
Champagne dreams and Old Milwaukee budget, or less!

Save your money and enjoy the fuel economy of the Civic.
Buy something later on that's less work to make faster, since your skill set and funds at the moment seem to be close to nill.

You can probably pick up an early 90's car with 200hp for less than what your proposing here
Such as what?

dancam

Registered VIP
Wouldnt take much research to find out yourself. How about a 300zx? Im not going to list them all.