turbo and Race fuel???

ST8JDM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So this past weekend I saw one of the best runs ever.. yellow R VS 03 Cobra and then he pulled a Lambo after 4th ! then KAbbboooMMM it blew up lots of smoke ..
After a few words with the guys I found out its was a 9.1 stock block and stock head (b18c5) with a gt28 turbo on race fuel …. It was a beast and lasted ..
So can someone explain how was this possible I know race fuel has higher octane thus preventing detonation but damm this guy was making over 400hp and it ran for like 5months of constant beatings on the weekend
Is race fuel that great ? am sure there was lots of tuning involved has anyone achieved number like this of fairly stock motors on race fuel?

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
What kind of race gas was it? They range from 100 ocatane to about 125(methane), most popular one is E85 which is about 105ish octane. And yes, race gas is awesome and makes a world of difference. The guy was stupid to be pushing 400whp on a stock motor, either he was lying about his motor being stock or about his car making 400whp...

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Just the fact that he put race fuel in it is not the entire reason why it lasted so long...if he is not lying about his engine or hp rating. There are many other contributing factors to what helped his engine last so long.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
we run q16

ST8JDM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
in a way i think he was hopeing for it to blow up so he could rebuild the entire power train ..

q16 ? never heard of it.... E85 is cheaper that 93 here in OKC

if i wanted to run a set up on e85 what all would i need ?
why run pump gas when this is not a DD i drive it like 2 times in a month

can any one point me in more info about the subject?

ST8JDM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yes i did HT NWP SH CC google. nothing goin in to further details

Kensai

♪♫♪♫♪~
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
in a way i think he was hopeing for it to blow up so he could rebuild the entire power train ..

q16 ? never heard of it.... E85 is cheaper that 93 here in OKC

if i wanted to run a set up on e85 what all would i need ?
why run pump gas when this is not a DD i drive it like 2 times in a month

can any one point me in more info about the subject?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

You'll have to get it tuned and have a constant supply of e85, it's cheap but a pain in the ass to get sometimes.

soniyajack

Race fuel in a turbo car can make more power than pump gas, from my understanding, because your AF ratio will be 'safer' than when running pump gas, thus enabling you to turn your boost up without ending up leaning out.In an all-motor/stock Si, you can damage your spark plugs.

ST8JDM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
am deff going to try and find more info on the suject...

is it nessesary to up grade the honda fuel system ?

i drive by e85 gas station every day to wrk soo no problem there..

ST8JDM

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
no.. i will not boost my ITR i do have a spear gsr block that i want to play with... but dont have much bank if i can get 350 whp out of a fairly stock motor with a conservative tune more than happpyy