turbo d17a1?

techlogic31

5+ Year Member
i know its possible but are there any good resources for this kind of set up? ive seen that post from andyman on other civic forums and such, but am i gunna need to ebay buy this, junkyard swaps or put it together piece by piece

baron340

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i'm doing the same exact thing... depends on the setup you want to do. dezod.com makes the only kit worth the money but you can piece together a pretty decent custom kit using an old oem turbo from a volvo or saab or something pretty inexpensively. atpturbo.com has a lot of great parts, for the smaller pieces parts, like an fittings, hoses, gaskets etc. spoolinperformance.com has a lot of great stuff. just look on forums, craigslist, etc for the parts you need, but dont cheap out on the important stuff. you get what you pay for. if you look on civicforums.com, speedfoos has a pretty big saga of his custom build... its incredibly long but very very informative and helpful.. its something like 170 pages of his custom turbo build pretty much from day 1. he also has a post of his turbo shopping list that is very helpful. hope that helps, and please excuse my complete neglect for propper grammar and the use of the shift key.

techlogic31

5+ Year Member
thanks, guys, i defniatley dont have the patience or time to do a piece by piece build. and head swap, ehhh def to drunk to do something like that.

baron340

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
defniatley dont have the patience or time to do a piece by piece build
Then you have to decide how important cheap is to you. If you dont want to piece together a kit, its going to be expensive, or its going to be cheap and junk. The head swap isnt that big of a deal if you do it all at once. You pretty much have to replace the head gasket and head studs to do a reliable turbo build anyway. Just put the ex head on instead of the lx one. Then if you get the AEM F/IC to tune with, it has a vtec controller in it already. You hook the vtec solenoid to it, tell it when to go, add more fuel as needed and bango, vtec. No need for an ex ecu.

J*ka_Em2

Then you have to decide how important cheap is to you. If you dont want to piece together a kit, its going to be expensive, or its going to be cheap and junk. The head swap isnt that big of a deal if you do it all at once. You pretty much have to replace the head gasket and head studs to do a reliable turbo build anyway. Just put the ex head on instead of the lx one. Then if you get the AEM F/IC to tune with, it has a vtec controller in it already. You hook the vtec solenoid to it, tell it when to go, add more fuel as needed and bango, vtec. No need for an ex ecu.
so your trying to say is... if you do a head swap on a D17a1 with an ex model, you can get vtec???:D