Turbo for 2001 Civic EX

Monroe94

hey i have a stock 2001 honda civic ex and was thinking maybe getting a turbo for it but not sure what im guna need other than the turbo kit and if its really worth it. im not looking for drag racing and stuff its just to make the car more fun! i was thinking of getting a turbonetics t3/t4 turbo. tell me what you guys think and any tips and what else im probaly guna need to get for the car

thanks matt

civic92si

Gina my Lady in red
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
research is the key bro. try the search button

techavluis

Registered VIP
i give this info to other guy. but alot can help u

well u really have not said how much you wanna put or your end goal. key to this world is to plan it out (money & whp number) but i will help u pick alittle.

alittle bolt ons maybe 500-1300 and 80k miles (dd)

put together a turbo kit (or a kit already together) for about 1000-3000. all new vs all used or a mix of the two. and boost 6psi with a tune and call it a day for 30,000 miles on a good stock z6. when it takes a s**t, buy other for 300-400 and hope for other 30,000 and so on..... (2nd time around i would go y8, same money, easy to get, alittle better, and easy to put it) this well be 175-225 whp

next is to do a low end build. just Pistons, Rods and Bearings. ($1000 if you do it yourself or pay other 600-800 at a shop. so 1600-1800) stock head. and a few alittle things like head gasket and other seals and gasket. (250 maybe) then with the turbo ($1000-3000) and tune ($300-400) you will have 250-350whp. about 40,000 miles.

then alittle more wild, intake manifold, cams, cams gear, springs, retaniners, fuel pump, injectors, and s**t like that. maybe $2000 and with the same boost make other 40-60whp more... (key there is making more whp with the same boost cuz less boost is safer.) so 300-400whp at 40,000 miles

and now the best of them all. FIRST NOTE!!! if you wanna go here think about it now cuz you can save alot of money saving up and just doing this from the start. everything above with sleeving the block (900-1200), full block (1500-3000 if done your self or shop) and head build (900-2000), a D to B tranny plane cuz at 400+ the d tranny is going to fail (600-1100 used or new) (note you will need flywheel, starter, and a few alittle things for b tranny) big injectors, fuel regulaor, throttle body, just all out!. look at i dont know (thorwing numbers out there) 6000-9000 and hope to god for 60-100,000 miles dd driving.

now all this can be WAY more detailed and money can be more or less with who you know and whp can be more or less on tuner and with what you buy. skunk2 vs ebay.

also note, alot of people dont know about d vs b vs h vs k vs there head up there ass. do homework on them all. they all have good and bad. i will start you off with B vs D. (lets say you put 3k of work in) B will make more whp. but the D can jump timing cuz timing belt goes to s**t or something with the head goes wrong and you well have it better off then the guy with the B.

and this is all power. not even moving into breaks, coreovers, springs, and other things be sides power. its a long road when its all said and done.... ask me how i know. started with things about getting a civic to save money and end up putting 18k and still going.....

SleepingSol

10sec dd or BUST
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member

well u really have not said how much you wanna put or your end goal. key to this world is to plan it out (money & whp number) but i will help u pick alittle.

put together a turbo kit (or a kit already together) for about 1000-3000. all new vs all used or a mix of the two. and boost 6psi with a tune and call it a day for 30,000 miles on a good stock z6. when it takes a s**t, buy other for 300-400 and hope for other 30,000 and so on..... (2nd time around i would go y8, same money, easy to get, alittle better, and easy to put it) this well be 175-225 whp

next is to do a low end build. just Pistons, Rods and Bearings. ($1000 if you do it yourself or pay other 600-800 at a shop. so 1600-1800) stock head. and a few alittle things like head gasket and other seals and gasket. (250 maybe) then with the turbo ($1000-3000) and tune ($300-400) you will have 250-350whp. about 40,000 miles.

then alittle more wild, intake manifold, cams, cams gear, springs, retaniners, fuel pump, injectors, and s**t like that. maybe $2000 and with the same boost make other 40-60whp more... (key there is making more whp with the same boost cuz less boost is safer.) so 300-400whp at 40,000 miles
and now the best of them all. FIRST NOTE!!! if you wanna go here think about it now cuz you can save alot of money saving up and just doing this from the start. everything above with sleeving the block (900-1200), full block (1500-3000 if done your self or shop) and head build (900-2000), a D to B tranny plane cuz at 400+ the d tranny is going to fail (600-1100 used or new) (note you will need flywheel, starter, and a few alittle things for b tranny) big injectors, fuel regulaor, throttle body, just all out!. look at i dont know (thorwing numbers out there) 6000-9000 and hope to god for 60-100,000 miles dd driving.

now all this can be WAY more detailed and money can be more or less with who you know and whp can be more or less on tuner and with what you buy. skunk2 vs ebay.

also note, alot of people dont know about d vs b vs h vs k vs there head up there ass. do homework on them all. they all have good and bad. i will start you off with B vs D. (lets say you put 3k of work in) B will make more whp. but the D can jump timing cuz timing belt goes to s**t or something with the head goes wrong and you well have it better off then the guy with the B.

and this is all power. not even moving into breaks, coreovers, springs, and other things be sides power. its a long road when its all said and done.... ask me how i know. started with things about getting a civic to save money and end up putting 18k and still going.....

Simple boost on your Y8 is just that, simple. Since it seems that you are going to buy an off the shelf set up, a company made kit, make sure you pick a company that has a front mount intercooler included. If not you will end up paying more for one seperately than you would if it was included. Next step is to pick up 4 things: 1. walbro 255lph intank fuel pump 2. injectors big enough to support the power you hope to make 3. a fuel pressure regulator (b&m is great and cheap) 4. Fuel Pressure gauge. once you have these parts the MOST important part of the install is an ecu mod. Im not very knowlegable on the 7th gens so i dont really know what all is out there for you as far as tuneable ecu programs.

emerican

Registered VIP
^ id have to agree with that. tune is everything without a tune or without the right tune you can drop 20k into it still wont make a difference.

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
First things first.....is your car automatic or manual?

emerican

Registered VIP
I hope hes not, but he seems like one of those people that say they are gonna turbo there car.Dont give any details on the car budget hp goal or anything that would be needed to give a real answer. everybody posts with that they would need or what they think is the best way to do it. After that you either cant get any real details out of the person or they just let the thread die. I hope hes not i just know i see alot of them and thats what always happens. That or the ebay turbo kit will always seem to get brought up. Please prove me wrong and respond back there are people on here with alot of knowledge that could help you boost it.

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP

@OP - But seriously, if you just want a little more power, a t3/t4 is a good option. Like everyone says, look for a kit rather than piecing one together and make sure it has a fmi so you don't need to buy one separately. Only problem is I don't know many good companies that can provide a full kit for a D17.

techavluis

Registered VIP
Where the f**k do you get your info from? I think you fall into the dont know d vs b vs h vs k vs YOUR HEAD UP YOUR ASS. Its a misconception that turbo motors dont last for s**t.

so you saying a turbo car is going to last as much as a na car?

bones420

5+ Year Member
I'd start off with getting kpro and the d17 cam gear,without it you can forget about that turbo build.