Turbo kit )vs( Engine swap B18

zoomer

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I got 98 CIVC si and was thinking of doing a enging swap till i saw this turbo kit from edelbrock ... check it out http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/index.html
It puts out 176 whp and 150 147ft/lbs of torque. U can also run this from a stock engine, and its also cheeper $3500..
What do u guys Think?

Si_Racer13

JDMchris>>>
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
how about a B18b and a turbo? but yea that edelbrock turbo is nice.

Dakkon

Still Brits #1 Fan
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Turbo is better in the short run, sure u can boost ur small engine, then its done, or you can get a better engine, and possibly later turbo/supercharge it. Your choice

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
or like si said get a b18b and turbo, teh motor is about 2000, and if you can install nice, then a turbo, thats what id do....

Team 4R

Dr. DIY
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i disagree with all.......... for ~$3200 plus shipping you can get a b18c1, which is rated at 170hp (at the crank, of course)...... with basic bolt-ons you can make the kind of power that turbo kit makes. not cool enough....? throw a t3/t4 on that b18c1, and you'll be moving around in a big hurry.........

TurboIntegra

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
New motor, but don't waste your time with the B18B. Its a good motor for boost but in the long run the higher revs of the Vtevc motors will help out more. And if you get a good turbo kit on a stock B16A you can get at least 250hp out of it.

Ominous G2

ClubIntegra.com
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yeah but you can make the b18b vtec and still keep the torque of the LS engine. I would say just drop the b18b in the car. Later add a turbo, and if that isnt enough LS/Vtec and GSR trans.

TurboIntegra

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I did the LS/Vtec turbo for a bit and it works like is should but its full of problems and I had a really bad problem with head gaskets, and random parts just not working right with the motor.

BioHazard the Reaper

PHACM 1B
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
id still say get a b18b and turbo if money is tight....doing waht team4r said is nice, but is going to cost aroun 6 grand, thats alot of cash....

boi-alien

kouki factory.... soon
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by Ominous G2
Yeah but you can make the b18b vtec and still keep the torque of the LS engine. I would say just drop the b18b in the car. Later add a turbo, and if that isnt enough LS/Vtec and GSR trans.
i'm not too sure about adding vtec later on. most high HP turbo honda motors that i'm aware of disable the vtec. reason for this is because there's too much overlap and you end up losing power.

EXestent'l

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
F the price drop in something you can always mod till ur hearts content... Im gettin a K20 engine from my friend in two years when he's in college and gets his type r engine swap... Id say go with a better engine because itll produce as much HP as ur turbocharged... and the s**t is still N/A.... with big bucks add a turbo to the swap and take home excessive trophies provided you get enough traction... but im still a n00b i dont know that much

x0supermonkey0x

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
first.... :welcome: to the site.... and i would get a b18C if i could.... but i dont c why not just get a turbo... i mean so what if its SOHC... u can still get enough out of it... but if u REALLY want the power... then i guess u should get b18C

zoomer

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i would love to get a b18 and turbo charge that mofo.. but money is the problem. I think i myte just get the turbo kit for now and upgrade to a b18 once i save up the cash ... the turbo kit is universal to i can alway throgh it on the new engine.. thanks guys for the replies..

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
lots of ppl swapping here. i've decided to boost my d16. it's relatively cheaper (imho), and it i blow the engine, i can get another d16 for $300 or so. (no, it's not missing a zero).

the edelbrock kit comes with almost everything u need. i know a guy that's got that kit (he's sponsored by edelbrock)... he's on http://turbod16.com/ ... his name on there is Marauder. ask him any questions u have bout the edelbrock. i think he was featured in SCC a month or two ago. there's also lots of knowledgeable ppl there that have boosted their d16's.

slammedciv96

N2O Junkie
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I have a question... a local shop around my area (Florida) is offering a b18b complete swap (including labor) for 1800... is this too good to be true? he stated he engine would have no more than 45000 miles on it....

anfrey

OG スバリスト
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i don't think i'd even be able to find an LS engine for 1800

SOHCvegasman

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
That kit is one of the most complete turbo kits you will find for the 1996-2000 civic engines. At SEMA, it was one of the most inovated kits and it looked beautiful, too. I am considering the kit for my d16, but the price is killing me!!