Turbo or Swap

darthvader

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What would you guys do. I have a honda civic DX and I am wondering what's best to do, install a turbo kit or swap in a GSR motor. Keep in mind i'm new to the Honda world.

baby99si

N/A project has begun....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SWAP prolly be just as fast as it would be if you did turbo it.And then turbo or SC that.

rvp420

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
SWAP!!! a gsr will give you the same hp stock as d16 boosted. then you can still build on that. A gsr is one of the best engines to boost, so if you have the budget do the swap

darthvader

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
cool thanks for the replies

darthvader

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
there is just too many options available for hondas, all i had to do with my Nissan was to install a SR20DET and it ran low 13s

baby99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
haha Why did you wanna get a honda then?Just to have a project car?

darthvader

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yeah, I sold the sentra 2 yrs ago to a friend because I went back home for two years.

ImportFan1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
swap in a b18c1 then build it up then turbo that b***h

baby99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by ImportFan1
swap in a b18c1 then build it up then turbo that b***h
haha agreed thats if you have the money GSR wouldnt be bad though it already has pretty low compression.

Quad-Damage

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
All these people say gsr swap, it's all about a built LS/VTEC it will spank your gsr, money for money wise, they can be had cheap and they make some very nice power, just make sure u build it right, Over Rev = the death of a LS/VTEC unless built

Martin Racing Design

FKA Carbon Creations
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by Quad-Damage
All these people say gsr swap, it's all about a built LS/VTEC it will spank your gsr, money for money wise, they can be had cheap and they make some very nice power, just make sure u build it right, Over Rev = the death of a LS/VTEC unless built
very few tuners (aka DIYers) can build a ls vtec right. its really tough man.

I say save up for a k20 =)

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
explain exactly how you built a ls/vtec right and cheap. i really wanna hear this.

Quad-Damage

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A few of my firends run reiable LS/VTEC's that spank gsr's all day

Ls Bottom end 1000 Easy
B16A2 head, head stud fited for a LS/VTEC and Milled, aftermarket headgasket, ported and polished, new vavles and steams and retainers 1200 bucks.
CTR Pistons and Rods 500

All for the under the cost of a GSR Motor

It's all about the build, my next motor LS/VTEC for sure.

Handlebars

None Taken.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
oh really. what about the bottom end smarty. or are you one of those super people who think a stock ls bottom end is good for 8200 rpm.

Quad-Damage

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^ alot of my firends run stock bottom ends, my firend has had his for 1 year almost stock bottom end, with just pistons and rods on stock sleaves. He is shotting for 240whp

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i seen a lot of ls/vtec with problems with the motor and most of the motors didnt get to 25k miles. i seen only a couple of them that last more then 25k miles.

baby99si

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
were telling him to get a gsr because thats what his question was it wasnt about the Ls's although they do get you power just not reliable just what i have heard

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
very few places or few people can build it correctly and properly tune right. here are the basic problems with ls/vtec that are not build correct.

1. Headgaskets fail, often
2. Overheating is very common
3. Oiling is a major problem (both pressure and flow from VTEC head)
4. No oil squirters for the pistons
5. Long stroke, short rod, not good for high RPM use
6. B18A/B rods are weaker than other B series VTEC rods

EVIL-cIvIc

P.I.M.P (BrONzE MeMbEr)
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Originally posted by handlebarsfsr
oh really. what about the bottom end smarty. or are you one of those super people who think a stock ls bottom end is good for 8200 rpm.
:ownded: