Turbo problems

Bluedragon

5+ Year Member
Alright, I've got a friend with 93 Civic with a 99 B16, and a Greddy turbor kit. His cuz put on the turbo a couple of weeks ago and now his car won't rev past 5,000. It sounds like its leaning out, but I'm not sure, it sputters right around there and won't go past. (he's got a 255lph pump, 450 injectors, fuel rail, regulator, FMU, and VAFCII).

He's only running about 4 psi, I think, he doesn't have a boost gauge hooked up so I can't tell. I can't hear the bov or waste gate openning up

Also, Does the FMU need to be hooked up if he's got a VAFC?
(I don't think so, as long as the VAFC is tuned in)

Another problem is that his car is leaking oil bad at the feed and return line. The return line has a really tight bend in it (almost pinched ) What I'm thinking what might be happening is that he's loosing oil pressure and the Vtec is cutting out? Which is what I think is making his motor sputter. His oil light flickers on and off every once in a while. (I'm guessing that the pinch is restricting the return causing the pan to run low and the oil is pooling uptop in the motor)

Some thoughts as to whats going on?

Sorry for the long post just trying to give you guys as much info as possible.

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
get it on the dyno, you'll find out what's wrong. the return line can't be pinched and I don't know but I think those 450 injectors are too big for only 4lbs. I have toyo 310 injectors and I'm running 8lbs and the injectors are too big. I'm probably going to up my boost to at least 12lbs or get some 290 injectors. Sounds like your boys cuz didn't do a good job. If the civic is running too rich you'll be able to smell the gas, very strong and if you are running to lean say bye bye to the motor
DO NOT DRIVE THE CIVIC UNTILL IT GETS ALL THE BUGS WORKED OUT OF IT!!!!
fyi, if you can't hear the bov, its probably not making any boost. I'd take the car to a pro and have them look at it

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
what a mess....i dont even know where to start....all i can say is your gonna have to buy a whole new motor and turbo if you keep this up

SiLvErCiV

I smell.....boost....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
turbo95eg6 said:
what a mess....i dont even know where to start....all i can say is your gonna have to buy a whole new motor and turbo if you keep this up
True haha...buying an FMU and thinking it would be reliable is your first problem :thumbdown , it sounds like the install was done by a few turbo amateurs, no offense either...

Bluedragon

5+ Year Member
No offens taken, it's not my car, nor did I do the install. So it doesn't reflect on me I'm just trying to keep him from having to buy a new motor and trying to get it running right for him. If I can fix his it should help me when I go to do mine, I think.

So the FMU's aren't reliable, would he be better off using his VAFC instead?

He would take it to a dyno, but the closest one is a 3-4 hour drive Spokane WA, there isn't one in Montana.

Ravage70

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
bizoneoeh said:
get it on the dyno, you'll find out what's wrong. the return line can't be pinched and I don't know but I think those 450 injectors are too big for only 4lbs. I have toyo 310 injectors and I'm running 8lbs and the injectors are too big. I'm probably going to up my boost to at least 12lbs or get some 290 injectors. Sounds like your boys cuz didn't do a good job. If the civic is running too rich you'll be able to smell the gas, very strong and if you are running to lean say bye bye to the motor
DO NOT DRIVE THE CIVIC UNTILL IT GETS ALL THE BUGS WORKED OUT OF IT!!!!
fyi, if you can't hear the bov, its probably not making any boost. I'd take the car to a pro and have them look at it
if there was an award for giving out bad info ud probably get nominated

u dont buy injectors that max out on ur setup :roll:

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ravage70 said:
if there was an award for giving out bad info ud probably get nominated

u dont buy injectors that max out on ur setup :roll:
sory, you're the pro :roll: But I accept my nomination with honor ;) You're right I don't know a whole lot but I try, I just think his boyz 450cc might just be a little too big for only 4lbs. Man, you only posted on this thread to talk s**t? Myabe you should give bluedragon some better advice, if you think I didn't. Don't just post to be a d**k homie.

I have a safc2 but alot of people on this site hate on it, they say its for the poor. But as you can see I really don't care what other people think. My safc2 works very well, I've had no problems with it.

Bluedragon

5+ Year Member
Well he is planning on running more boost (7-8) once he gets everything together

He running 4 right now to be safe untill he can get it to a dyno and have them tune it for higher boost.

Sorry I guess that I didn't make that clear in the post. I could have helped avoid the argument

bizoneoeh

Ex-Gang Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Bluedragon said:
Well he is planning on running more boost (7-8) once he gets everything together

He running 4 right now to be safe untill he can get it to a dyno and have them tune it for higher boost.

Sorry I guess that I didn't make that clear in the post. I could have helped avoid the argument
It's not you homie. ;)
When I first threw on my kit I had mad problems, I was getting all fustrated and s**t, but I worked out the bugs quick. Then after I went to the dyno, I was so relived. Everything worked out, my car's running great. I was going to get some smaller injectors but I decided to just go back to the dyno and up the boost :drive:

haphazard

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well i think i would try to fix the oil line, put some smaller injectors in. and hook up the e-man. (or blue box) up and see how it is... :???: but thats also a lot of work.

lkailburn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can run 450's an 1psi of boost. seriously lol. all that is controlled by your fuel management. your vafc doesn't care how much boost your running. geez lol

keep the 450's in there. you can't run the hack very well without injectors around that size. its just easiest this way

tear out the drain and feed lines and REDO them. make a new drain. and make sure you teflon tape or pipe dope them all so they don't leak. thats a serious issue right there.

next thing. remove the fmu. the hack is better then the fmu. where are you getting your vafc settings from. im not using the vafc so im not sure where the settings should be but verify with members on www.homemadeturbo.com that your settings are ok.

make sure your bov is connected to a vacuum source on your manifold

make sure your wastegate is connected to a vac source on your manifold or on the nipple on the compressor housing. if you choose the mani make sure to cap off the nipple on the compressor housing.
also without a gauge how do you know your running 4lbs? and what wastegate are you using. theres only a handful of internal's that are adjustable and then theres externals which are adjustable.

do that s**t asap and post back

-Luke

CivicLX97

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sounds like the ecu is reading boost if it wont let the car rev past 5000 rpms...i would say you need some check valves or a missing link... the same thing is happening to me right now and its because when the stock ecu reads more than 2 psi it goes into "limp" mode and wont let vtec engage and starts to run really really rich....thats just my 2 cents

lkailburn

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you should see more than 2psi well before 5k lol. if you don't you've got more problems to sort out or are running a turbo that is WAAAY to big for your motor

Bluedragon

5+ Year Member
He's got a missing link on there so it shouldn't be seeing boost unless it's bad. the one that is suppose to be on my car, but since i don't have my turbo on yet I let him borrow it.

I think that he's saying that if the Ecu see more than 2psi it goes in to safe mode, not that he's only making 2psi by 5k

93turbo16

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OK. Ditch all that junk and run uberdata or crome for one.. makes things problems free with fuel management. Also make sure you plugs are gapped, that could be the cause of your misfire. All of the things that are on this motor are just band aids. I would honestly look into much better fuel/spark management.

Also, you must get the drain so it isn't kinked, if you want your turbo to last more than a wekk.

Good luck man. You can PM me if you have questions about uber/crome. I am a tuner in the NE, not like that will help you where you are at, but I can give you some pointers.