turbo question

Generation Six

No, Your Not Faster.
hey guys,

so i have a totally stock 99 civic cx hatch with just a RAM air intake.. im looking into turbo'ing. my question(s) is if i get a single turbo... what should i do to my engine to get max performance (or do i even need to do anything?) and if i want to twin turbo.. can i just add another turbo to the existing one or should i just save up and get a twin turbo? whats the performance gains of a twin turbo? and what do i need to do to my engine to twin turbo proof it?

thanks guys!!
:cool:

vjf915

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Several things need to be addressed here. Do you have an automatic or manual transmission?

Second, there are MANY threads that discuss turbos and what your engine needs. But it basically comes down to how big the turbo is, and how much PSI you plan on running. So that being said, what is your whp goal?

I will let someone else get into more detail about the twin turbo. But there are basically two options for twin turboing. The first being two turbos the same size. This is used for V style engines (v6, v8, v10) because the plumbing is much easier than running a single turbo. The other option is running a big turbo and a small turbo. The reason being is that small turbos spool up much faster, but dont continue to provide power during higher RPMs.....and big turbos create much more power, but wont spool up until higher RPMs. This gives you a more desirable power curve. I dont know how that would work on a Civic though, I dont really have much knowledge on turbos. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

I think what you should REALLY do is just research a whole lot about how your engine works, and how turbos work. Seems to me like right now doing a turbo setup on your car might be a little over your head. Thats not an insult, knowledge is useful and will prevent problems.

Generation Six

No, Your Not Faster.
thanks for your reply, and its a manual, and im looking at maybe 10 psi? something that will give me good power, and finally im getting a shop to do the install, but its a much cheaper price if i bring them all the parts i need.

Generation Six

No, Your Not Faster.
actually for the PSI question, im looking at a fair number that will give me solid performance with as little as needed engine part modification..

Ceros

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lolz^

Anywho, seems like you have a LOT to learn about turbo setups. I'm boosting my d16y8. pm me for any questions if you have any. Also, checkout my build thread ( in my signature ).

BlueSiclone

Master Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You have a looong way to go.

1st, you need to determine the turbo size. 10 PSI through a big turbo will blow you nuts apart. So you gotta figure that out.

2nd, If you want any kind of reliability, you will rebuild the bottom end. I have a feeling you have a few miles on it, and I will bet $$ the rings won't hold up.

3rd, start lookin through the many many threads here that go over all of this info. If you go into a shop (and by a shop, I mean one who specializes in this kinda stuff, not bubba's tire and auto) you better know what your asking for and talkin about so you don't get taken.

Generation Six

No, Your Not Faster.
alright so im thinking.. can i get a low boost turbo for now.. then as i get more monies to buy better parts, can i just increase to boost?

BlueSiclone

Master Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
You can..What kinda $$ u wanna spend here? 1st and foremost, go get a compression/leakdown test to make sure everything is ok inside....

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
a twin turbo set up would be pointless. If you want to keep your single cam, a set of YCP vitara pistons and eagle rods will allow you to throw enough boost at it to make 300whp.

Generation Six

No, Your Not Faster.
i dunno about cash.... enough to get a decent kit that can be modded for higher boost....

and got traction.. thank you very much, you answered everthing! how much are those? and do i put them in when i put in the turbo kit?

BlueSiclone

Master Ricer
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you have the internals installed same time if you would like...go look for a kit (not ebay)..check out some of the site sponsors or go to diff companies sites (greddy; etc) find the kit that fits your budget, then lemme know how it turns out.

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
send me a PM, i can hook you up with a company that can give you a great deal on a combo set. Im not allowed to mention the name here though :thumbup: