Turbo Rotary Mazda Minitruck Build

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
dont truck/cars use corrugated metal in the cab for re-enforced strength? does that make a difference in the overall ability to support your weight and all the interior parts? (i have no experience in this so i could be and most likely talking out of my ass) new truck looks fun :D
man im glad there are smart people on this site!

where are all of u guys when it comes time to hire people at my company? lol

ur right! they do use corrugated steel from the factory, well its more pressed into a pattern, but nonetheless...
but, it is also like 20 ga or less. it is really thin! so i figured(like i said before this is my first time with this) that 16ga with super thick bracing will hold the weight. this is how everyone does their sheetmetal beds, and a lot of people use 18 ga with no problems. another factor is that i am using my stock tranny tunnel and also building an inner firewall, so i shouldnt have any problems. so far, what i have welded up is solid as a rock, and i dont see any problems with it, so i am pressing onward. trust me if i have problems or see a better way tp do it i will change it up and also inform u guys just in case u ever want to do something like this!

another thing u gotta think of is that the weight is distributed pretty evenly on the seat rails and it goes into 4 different bolts. so a 200 lb person will actually distribute 50 lbs on each mounting point. i think thats pretty achievable to construct somehting that can handle fifty pounds...

looking good man! glad to see some new updates on this project.
thanks a lot!

been working on both trucks on and off this week!

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your floor will be fine. you have plenty of bracing below it and thick enough sheet metal. make sure you rust proof it though!

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Oh ya for sure I am going to under coat it seam seal it and dynamat on top with carpet!

Thanks though!

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well heres a really dark pic, but u can see i have the dash in place and also a seat in there.

just rechecking fitment now that i have a decent amount of floor welded in. the floor is also very solid, and helds my weight very well and it isnt even fully welded yet. i think imma start on the driver side either today or tomorrow...

also i might be looking for different seats, but im not sure yet. trying to get a good mental picture of how these will look reupholstered, and idk if theyre really worth my time or not...

any suggestions? i need somehting really low that are really comfy but not huge...

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ya I wanna finish the look with fc rx7 seats, but they're so damn expensive!

Time to start saving again...

Cooper76

HOLLY f**kin' HELL!!! YOUR TRUCK IS BAD ASS!!!

I just went through all 53 pages of this killer build! I gotta say you have madd scientist skills man! I had an 87 B2200 as my first car and loved it. Bright red with a 3" drop on 17". But back in 93 that was about as low as I could go. That truck has some great lines that just won't get old. Your doing a great job on it. I just can't get over the fact that you made it right hand drive and stuffed it with a turbo rotary engine. Subscribed!

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Anyone can put and engine in a vehicle make it rhd, set it on its nuts and do all the sheetmetal mods in the world to it, but if it never leaves his garage or runs, then it really isn't that impressive!

Give me kudos when I have pics of this truck dragging and not falling apart lol.

Oh, and I'm glad I have another follower! Its always good to have people interested since this build died over winter but is slowly picking back up!

JuiceBoxHero

ASE Certified Chef
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ya I wanna finish the look with fc rx7 seats, but they're so damn expensive!

Time to start saving again...
How about RE Amemiya seats if you could find some? Idk if they come in anything other than red, and they might be a bit too modern for the look you want to achieve... But since you have a rotary and all I figured they could still fit into your flow... if that makes any sense... just a thought.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
How about RE Amemiya seats if you could find some? Idk if they come in anything other than red, and they might be a bit too modern for the look you want to achieve... But since you have a rotary and all I figured they could still fit into your flow... if that makes any sense... just a thought.
In all honestly, I wouldn't put those in his truck even if I could afford them.

Don't get me wrong, they are amazing, but those seats deserve to be in an fd that is just plain amazing! Ya dig?

I need something that looks good but flows well. Idk if keeping all mazda is good or if some s2000 seats would be ok, but they have to be short and ride low to look right. I was also thinking about mr2 seats, but everything is so damn expensive. I don't need them right now by any means, but I'm such a compulzive buyer its not even funny. Ill prolly buy some in the near future...

Thanks for the responses though!

Maybe when I actually build an rx7 I will put some badass seats in it. Along with a peripheral port 20b :cool:

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
In all honestly, I wouldn't put those in his truck even if I could afford them.

Don't get me wrong, they are amazing, but those seats deserve to be in an fd that is just plain amazing! Ya dig?

I need something that looks good but flows well. Idk if keeping all mazda is good or if some s2000 seats would be ok, but they have to be short and ride low to look right. I was also thinking about mr2 seats, but everything is so damn expensive. I don't need them right now by any means, but I'm such a compulzive buyer its not even funny. Ill prolly buy some in the near future...

Thanks for the responses though!

Maybe when I actually build an rx7 I will put some badass seats in it. Along with a peripheral port 20b :cool:
i thought you were sticking to mazda seats. Mr2 seats would be cool.

and if you do build a 20B RX7... im going to come and visit you! lol

Cooper76

Well, if and when you do get this truck running and painted, It's gonna be sicker then two girls and a cup!

RUXcited

Lead foot.
added the front section...

little more..

so then i pulled it out to weld from the bottom. the ol lady came out to see what i was doing at this point. she asked me if this was the passenger side to which i replied yes it is. she says," u might wanna put a little more bracing down there for my fatass."
i thought that was funny, lol.
anywho, started welding it up making sure i got good penetration to hold a solid weld so i didnt have to worry about my wife falling through the floor on heavy drag sessions lol...
Not sure how far you've gotten since these pics, But i figured i would toss you my 2 cents.... where you welded your new floor to your existing door jamb pinch weld, Did you take into concideration of the steep angle at which those 2 pieces meet? Makes it almost imposible to put a door seal on, and you can pretty much kiss a door sill goodbye. Or concider how the carpet is going to fit in that area?

I say this with do disrespect, Awesome project you have going, and im a die hard minitrucker, but when i did the body drop on my s-10, i cut along that pinch and when i finished the driverside i was test fitting some blazer carpet i got and reealized the issue. i had to make a 2 inch flat part on the passenger side for the carpet/door sill/ seal. It was something small i overlooked and it made a huge dislike in my eyes. some people might not notice it, but i do every time i open the door.

But i like the truck. itll be super sic when its all done. just tossing around my 2 cents. keep up the good work.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i thought you were sticking to mazda seats. Mr2 seats would be cool.

and if you do build a 20B RX7... im going to come and visit you! lol
im not really sure. i am in no rush for seats at the moment, so we will see if i find a deal i cant pass up!

and, come on down, ill give u directions to my house and u can even bring the beer!

Can't wait for that build thread, haha. Isn't the 20b a race engine?
anything can be a race engine depending on what ur racing against!

Well, if and when you do get this truck running and painted, It's gonna be sicker then two girls and a cup!
i agree with u 100% :cool:

20B is a 3 rotor motor from a Cosmo.
whats a cosmo? i keed i keed...

:word: Without a doubt!!!!!
u guys r silly!

Not sure how far you've gotten since these pics, But i figured i would toss you my 2 cents.... where you welded your new floor to your existing door jamb pinch weld, Did you take into concideration of the steep angle at which those 2 pieces meet? Makes it almost imposible to put a door seal on, and you can pretty much kiss a door sill goodbye. Or concider how the carpet is going to fit in that area?

I say this with do disrespect, Awesome project you have going, and im a die hard minitrucker, but when i did the body drop on my s-10, i cut along that pinch and when i finished the driverside i was test fitting some blazer carpet i got and reealized the issue. i had to make a 2 inch flat part on the passenger side for the carpet/door sill/ seal. It was something small i overlooked and it made a huge dislike in my eyes. some people might not notice it, but i do every time i open the door.

But i like the truck. itll be super sic when its all done. just tossing around my 2 cents. keep up the good work.
yes, its all been taken into account.

where it is tacked is not where it is staying. that was just to make sure everything would clear and it has already been removed to be fully welded from the bottom side!

the floor will sit where the factory floor was originally and will have plenty of room for a sill....
also, this truck had a traditional BD before, but i wanted moar low, and more leg room... u know the story..

thanks for the input, and everyones suggestions are always considered, and help is almost always a good thing...

hopefully more updates soon!

civicfan111

Fujiwara's Tofu Shop
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Get off CC already and get that floor welded up :p lol! jk..any predictions on how far out paint is?

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Get off CC already and get that floor welded up :p lol! jk..any predictions on how far out paint is?
Haha. I'm off next week and besides shipping off some parts and doing some yardwork I got nothing but time to work on the truck!

As for paint, no plans in the near future. After the truck is running and all together then it will torn all the way back down to a bare frame so the frame can get powder coated and everything can be perfect!
Then the cab and bed can be painted, but I have a long ways. Still gotta get this engine figured out and make a sheetmetla bed floor and upholstery done and all that jazz, plus I am still not sure what colors I want it and if I want graphics or what not lol...

d16racer88

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
:drool: Im sooooo f**kin jealous!!!! i need to get good at weldin and get an old truck........ fabrication is freakin fun. well, when it goes right :lol:

that cab is gonna be insane when your done :thumbs up