turbo set-up

PNK SLP

5+ Year Member
Well most of you no my bottom end is not to healthy. So within the next 2 months i should be gettin a fully built bottom end and im goin to be tryin to around 550wheel hp and keep it as a DD.

But i was also thinking about gettin the turbo set-up alittle bit different.
I was thinking about goin with a top mount. Is there any advantages or not with this set-up? or is it mostly for a show thing. I have the ram-horn on it now, but i always like the top mount look.

just whats everyones opions on the top mount??

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
What exactly is done to this built bottom end, and how many miles on it. what happend with your block? your rods fail on you?

ryanM

top mount is just for show, or if you cant fit the turbo on the bottom...

do it if you want.

i think 550whp on a fwd car would suck to daily drive...

illusive

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No its not just a bling factor.....there are reasons behind a top mount design vs other designs. Each design in most cases has its advantages and dis-advantages. Either it be performance or price point.

Not written by me but a very good explantion of different manifolds.
Credit: Schister66@ HT

Log
-The cheapest of all the manifolds. Log manifolds can easily be made to allow AC and power steering. A log manifold will spool up a turbo rather fast because of its short runner length, but due to it being less than ideal for high volume flow, top end power on a log can be greatly restricted. Logs such as the Inline Pro have a rather good design and ARE able to flow quite well at higher RPMs. A log will work perfectly fine for most street setups...especially stock block

Mini Ram
-Built with a 4-1 collector, mini rams flow better than a log and are still fairly compact and inexpensive. These manifolds are a good mix of short runner design (quick spool) and better flow at higher RPM. This is what i run on the street...i would recommend it for most people who DD their cars, but want better overall flow than a regular log manifold.

Ramhorn
- More equal length than the last two. Ramhorn manifolds have longer runners; therefore, taking longer to spool, but runners are closer to being equal length (better top end flow). Since these manifolds are bottom mounts, it is more difficult to fit a large diameter downpipe or easily manipulate the turbo.

Topmount
-The blingest of all manifolds apparently. A topmount is generally very close to, if not completely equal lenght meaning all runners are the same. This is important because of the cylinder exhaust pulses. Rather than overlapping in a non-eq manifold, in an equal length topmount, all exhaust pulses enter the turbo uniterrupted. This allows the most efficient use of exhaust energy without having deadspots created where there is no exhaust energy in the turbo...even if it is for just a millisecond. Topmounts are generally able to accomodate 4" downpipes and larger turbos due to the placement in the engine bay. For those of us who "need" a Borg Warner S372 under the hood, this is the ONLY choice.

Spool
1. Log
2. Mini Ram
3. Ramhorn
4. Topmount

Overall Power Potential
1. Topmount
2. Ramhorn
3. Mini Ram
4. Log

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Is their a way to contact the current owner to ask what was done to your motor?

PNK SLP

5+ Year Member
well i have spoken to the shop that built the car. It is an 81mm bored b18c1 bottom end . Now my problem is im running 145psi in all the cylinders. they did a leak down test and found that the 3rd cylinder is the weak one or the one with problems. . they said could have been from a bad msd distr. cap and its not getin the right spark( one of the wires inside was crimpt. Now the motor does not tick, knock or anything wierd. but in WOT it lose some power.

the shop said 2500 bucks "on the high end" with labor could re-bore my motor to a 82mm with new pistons, rings, oil pump and little things but everything in the motor is still ok....the head. valves crank, conection rods and so forth,.

But i was just wondering since it is a 9.1 low compression and runnng a unknown cams wouldn't that drop the compression from the 185psi stock???

miles is around 16K i drove it as a DD for a year and a half.

but i was looking at the top mount manifolds and dam those things are way outa my price rangs. lol

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
2500 ??!! ....ouch.... and if you got lower compression pistons then yes it will drop the compression....im running i think 145psi in all 4 cylinders...but i also have like 8.1 compression....

rwlsvtec_03

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
top mount looks gorgeous and if you get the right one the piping should be equal length, great for helping spool a bigger turbo.

TiiM iiS l3eAsT

Scamming Piece Of s**t
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
top mount looks gorgeous and if you get the right one the piping should be equal length, great for helping spool a bigger turbo.
lol topmount is more for topend....

if you want to help spool the turbo get a log mani...or mini ram...