turbo sohc

ej8mike

I have a d16y8 in my civic instead of swapping it I plan on boosting it come tax return season! so to be prepared what are all the necessary parts to succesfully boost it? the turbo, oil feed lines, injectors, turbo manifold dumb tube bov what else am i missing here? im also not building for extreme power, its my d.d and i just want to start building it i plan on keeping it for a long time and want to be able to make power and run at the track some days

purpej1

honda fiend
Registered VIP
ecu chipped and tuned and thats all i can think of

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
wastegate, fuel pump, oil catch can (optional), resistor box depending on type of injectors, a GOOD tune, tap the oil pan, front mount intercooler recommended, depending on amount of boost a new MAP sensor, and a healthy motor =)

Krueger

Zach
If your ready to start parting stuff together i have a mani and turbo for cheap that i was going to throw on my same motor. Pm me for details. Its in the for sale section

ej8mike

ok yaeh thanks pmed. yeah i know the front mount nd piping i just didnt put that im mainly look for all the misc things ill need that im not sure of. i have a stock engine with 70k on it. Idk if im going to boost this as is or build up internals before boosting

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
70k is very low for a Honda. What's your power goal? That's the first step in boosting a car, is determining what your goal is, and what your budget is.

ej8mike

70k is very low for a Honda. What's your power goal? That's the first step in boosting a car, is determining what your goal is, and what your budget is.
Honestly, not much power, atleast 200 if not more. As for budget id say like 500ish hopefully i find some good deals on parts etc.

ej8mike

You could piece together your own kit which is kinda the way he seems to be going for around 500, plus it would be better then an ebay kit. Thats the route i was gonna go.
You got it, i know a few people with turbo parts, few good deals, i work at a dealer, know an old mechanic who used to build cars for raceing purposes only so i somewhat have some hookups on pieces. just want to get all the parts in order before i start, as far as ebay kits go lol i know a few people who make decent power with them and push like 250 whp and are still going strong

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$500 is not a very good budget to put towards a turbo kit. $500 should be the price for the turbo itself most of the time

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
$500 is not a very good budget to put towards a turbo kit. $500 should be the price for the turbo itself most of the time
thats almost half the price of a good precision turbo....well i guess you could get the precision version of a .50 or .57 trim roughly for that price.

ej8mike

thats almost half the price of a good precision turbo....well i guess you could get the precision version of a .50 or .57 trim roughly for that price.
well if i wanted to spend more than haf that i would swap it for a dohc engine and call it a day until i could build on that, seeing your sig "sohc turbo douchebag" haha what are your opinions?

got traction

i rock the sohc
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
well if i wanted to spend more than haf that i would swap it for a dohc engine and call it a day until i could build on that, seeing your sig "sohc turbo douchebag" haha what are your opinions?
my opinion would be to save your $500, and get enough funds to build something that isnt going to blow up on the first hit.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
If you plan on getting a good tune, you will spend at least $500, getting it tuned by a professional. I spent $650 on Neptune license and dyno/street tune up here. Expensive, yes. But they are the best in the region from what I've heard/read.

Tune = most important part of the turbo setup. Can't stress that enough.

My proof = supercharged 4.7 V8 Dakota my friend and me spent a week doing. His truck. Bad tune = detonation in less than a week. $5600 later he had a new motor in there, and no supercharger (which he spent like $1600 on)

ej8mike

If you plan on getting a good tune, you will spend at least $500, getting it tuned by a professional. I spent $650 on Neptune license and dyno/street tune up here. Expensive, yes. But they are the best in the region from what I've heard/read.

Tune = most important part of the turbo setup. Can't stress that enough.

My proof = supercharged 4.7 V8 Dakota my friend and me spent a week doing. His truck. Bad tune = detonation in less than a week. $5600 later he had a new motor in there, and no supercharger (which he spent like $1600 on)
Ohh for sure i know the importance of a tune lol. Thats why a lot of kids build their cars and no tune and bang. Their back at square 1 with no engine lol

1989civichb

ill sell u my kit t3t4 0.50 turbo with intercooler...500bucks only ran it a day then i took it off....2 much power. 450 max horsepower...contact me 13045912625. im located in west virginia.

hondafreakef915

Just build the bottom end and you will be set! FJ distributors has some good stuff for single slammer! One cam only power!!!!! =)

eg6white305

500$ is not much. I would save it and continue to do research on all that is involved in turboing a d16. You gotta think about shimming the oil pump if you got a d16y8, installing arp headstuds, finding a good tuner,etc.