turbo the D

civicturbo91

professional bitchslapper
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its just about summer, only 3 weeks of school left (im 16) and gonna make some money this summer. im planning on boosting my d16y8 and i have everything except a turbo, turbo timer, and a boost controller. i want to run about 6psi daily and around 10 or so at the track. what do i need as far as internals? im thinking rods, pistons, head studs, valves, and valve springs. am i missing anything or do i even need that much? i have heard of people running 6 to 8psi on a stock d but i want to be safe. anyone have any suggestions?

also with the low comp rods and pistons will my car run fine without a turbo for a period of time or what?

codyllee

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I think you need to save up for college instead

CivicEX13

CC's Valve Cover Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
its just about summer, only 3 weeks of school left (im 16) and gonna make some money this summer. im planning on boosting my d16y8 and i have everything except a turbo, turbo timer, and a boost controller. i want to run about 6psi daily and around 10 or so at the track. what do i need as far as internals? im thinking rods, pistons, head studs, valves, and valve springs. am i missing anything or do i even need that much? i have heard of people running 6 to 8psi on a stock d but i want to be safe. anyone have any suggestions?

also with the low comp rods and pistons will my car run fine without a turbo for a period of time or what?

you can run 10 on that motor i run 10 on mine at high boost not all he time but when i m at the track or when i feel like really getting on it...i run 8 psi daily and my motor is stock so i think you will be fine with a stock motor....but if you want to build yes your car will run fine with low comp pistons with no turbo my buddy is doning that now in is ls to break it in

Silver98

5+ Year Member
rich grandparents:shock:
lucky man!

turbos are definatly a lot of fun (not that i own one or anything, a buddy does though) just make sure you do it right. How many miles do you have on the engine you want to turbo. I know someone who blew is engine because he put a turbo on a engine with too many miles

Good luck bro

civicturbo91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
lucky man!

turbos are definatly a lot of fun (not that i own one or anything, a buddy does though) just make sure you do it right. How many miles do you have on the engine you want to turbo. I know someone who blew is engine because he put a turbo on a engine with too many miles

Good luck bro
about 90k. with rods and pistons though miles shouldnt be a prob though right?

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
rod bearings, rods, concave pistons, rings......and look up a company called Golden Eagle.....that will answer your questions with the oil.......but with the low psi that you plan for and a built bottom end your car will be fine......i'd just build the block, do a valve adjustment while its apart, turbo, tune it, then go pick up some bitches with the blow off valve haha

civicturbo91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have always heard that boost isnt for people that like high revs...so i shouldnt shift at 7000k when im racing at the track? what should i shift at?

Civic2007

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i've never heard that.....not saying that isnt true, i wouldnt know cause i've never had a turbo'd honda......but from what i know hondas make all their power at high end so idk why they would say you should shift early......7k is pretty high compared to some of the domestic drivers out there......like today i let a cavalier driver drive my gsr eg cause he had never heard/felt VTEC before and he kept shifting at 6k, and i just looked at him like he was retarded and he said thats when his powerband drops off in his cavalier lol......my chipped ecu is set to tach out at 8400 and its still pullin hard at that point.....but idk man.....i dont know all that much about turbos

civic98turbo

I'm back ....
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i have always heard that boost isnt for people that like high revs...so i shouldnt shift at 7000k when im racing at the track? what should i shift at?
i think that is a little out of reach right now...no idea on what your using to build for boost..

you tuner should set the rev limit at the appropriate mark for you...and you should shift there..when its all said and done and your boosting

toneekay

Rubbin on yo booty
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i shifted 8k rpm in my b20... thats almost about 2k rpm above stock

*it just all depends on your tune, and what your motor can handle.

civicturbo91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
so far this is my list:

i know i need...
low comp rods
low comp pistons
rod bearings
arp head studs

do i need?????:
valves
valve springs
valve retainers
low comp head gasket
aftermarket cam
block work

snoob

9k RPM and 1+ Lateral G
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:evil: TURBO Ds are evil. here are some websites to start learning about your little monster. MOST if not ALL of your questions have been covered multiple times IF you just take the time to research you will have a blast!

www.turbod16.com
www.sohchonda.com

When i first got into the scene i just wanted a B series, after opting for a d15b because of finanical issues, i will honestly say you will have more fun building D's than B's... they are cheaper and parts are more readily available. (not that i'm knocking B series =) i heart our DOHC cousins :oops: )

civicturbo91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
what brands should i look for? ive heard about eagle rods, vitara pistons, and really nothing good or bad about anything else. anybody have any experience with turbo D's?

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
local import shop owner said:
a turbo D is like is like a .22 handgun. you can shoot it all day long but you cant kill s**t with it.
:rolf:

good luck mang. it should be a lot of fun to drive when youre all done

civicturbo91

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i just checked out goldeneaglemfg.com and everything was so confusing. they have about 3 different low compression pistons and rods and all have different measurements and bores. not to mention extremely expensive. can anybody tell me EXACTLY what kind of rods, pistons, and bearings to get?