Turbo

Project_Civic32

5+ Year Member
Ok I think I have found everything to do to turbo my car. it is an 02 Lx so yea it's the gutless wonder, hence the turbo. Anyway it is the my dd and I will be keeping it for a long time I am thinkin of builing the bottom end and also doing the ex head swap should I build the bottom end? I have heard both sides as to it will run fine on stock internals up to like 250 whp and I have heard if you don't build it it will go with in 7-10,000 miles. Any opinions on this would be great. I only wanted to build all the internals for reliability I'm really just looking for a fun peppy car for a dd and reliable at the same time.

I just figured since I am going to be keeping this car for a long while I might as well and I can learn how to do it all as I go. I am going to look at the dezod turbo kit and the kpro engine management becasue I don't want to cheap out.

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
yeah if you have the money you might as well build the bottom end
you will probably have to swap to an ex head for kpro
i thnk one of the dezod kits comes with everything but its like 6k

Project_Civic32

5+ Year Member
I wish I had the money now haha I was just going to do it spend some here and there and just build it up in my garage. And with the ex head I'm debating whether to swap the head and keep the LX block or go to ex block I noticed that the Lx has a few more torque than ex

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
the only difference its the head i believe

baron340

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
The LX has .1 lower compression stock. If you are building the block it doesn't matter. It may be up for argument, but I personally believe the LX head has more power potential in the bottom end because of the way the vtec-e works. The only problem is, you will have to get a custom ground cam. On that note, there is really no point in building the block without also swapping the cam. The stock cam just doesn't have enough to push a lot of power. It just maxes out at around 240, but starts to run out at 200 ish. You just have to keep adding boost but you don't really get a lot of gains. On the other side of the coin, you really don't need to build the block if you have modest goals and get a solid tune on a standalone. 200 on a stock block, k-pro and a good tune should be no problem. As long as your block is in healthy shape now and you take care of it well, the motor should be just fine for many many miles after you boost it.

baron340

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh and you can k-pro without vtec you just have to set the vtec engagement point at like 15k rpms or something.

Tkdtim1226

5+ Year Member
One thing you may want to consider (if you have the money that is) is buying a used block (preferably EX) and building it in your garage while you use your car as a daily driver. By the way you're talking, that may not be an option because you would have to go out and buy a whole engine, which is expensive, but it would help you work on it little by little and not put your car out of service while doing it.

Another thing to consider is lower compression is good for turboing. It means spending more money for pistons, but you would benefit from it.

baron340

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
One thing you may want to consider (if you have the money that is) is buying a used block (preferably EX) and building it in your garage while you use your car as a daily driver. By the way you're talking, that may not be an option because you would have to go out and buy a whole engine, which is expensive, but it would help you work on it little by little and not put your car out of service while doing it.

Another thing to consider is lower compression is good for turboing. It means spending more money for pistons, but you would benefit from it.
Tell me... why exactly is an EX block preferred?

Tkdtim1226

5+ Year Member
Tell me... why exactly is an EX block preferred?
Sorry, I did not articulate that correctly. If you need to buy a new engine, you could buy just the block or the whole engine. If you get the whole engine, get an EX (it sounds like he'll be buying the head anyway).

Project_Civic32

5+ Year Member
I am planning on buying an Ex head but debating whether or not to do the Lx block or the Ex. and this build will be a slow one like you mentioned I am going to just buy things and piece it together in my garage and use the car while I build. However I don't know if I should just do it all and put it all in or put the head on with the daily and then the block when it's built? I'm planning on getting alot over the winter so hopefully things will pan out =)

jonathan2006

D17A2 User
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
might be easier if you get the extra motor and build it and then swap it

Project_Civic32

5+ Year Member
Well I know the Ex block would be easier because it has the vtec sylenoid but I'm wondering If I could pull more torque out of the Lx block. I have been researching like crazy but have not found much that has been done with the Lx block. But I am looking forward to this build it should be pretty fun.

baron340

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
There are no differences in the block.. .I repeat, I identical blocks. The vtec solenoid is on the head. If you are sourcing an entire engine go for the EX due to the vtec head. (again, I have a sneaking suspicion that the LX head has more potential in the bottom end but more research is needed) If you are sourcing the head and block separately, get whichever block is cheapest.

Project_Civic32

5+ Year Member
well if the Blocks are Identical then why does the Lx produce more torque than the Ex does? That doesn't make sense to me because from what I have read in all the threads is that the head will affect the higher RPM and the lower end produces the torque. And I'm not a mechanic and I am really just trying to research and make sure that I do it right the first time. And there is really a difference of only like 5 flbs of torque which is why I ask can the Lx block make more torque? And since there is a difference in torque that leads me to believe that there is something different between the Lx and Ex block. It could be the case where the block is the same but different pistons?

Project_Civic32

5+ Year Member
Again I am not an expert and just trying to learn and make sure that I have my facts straight is all =) And for the Ex head swap I was just under the impression that there was some sort of connection on the Ex block for the vtec sylenoid because they had to wire the vtec to the ecu from the head because there was no connection on the block. I very well could be wrong on this though. Once again still researching and learning.

baron340

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
That torque difference is part of why I personally believe the LX has more potential. The blocks are identical, I promise. There is a compression difference, but I don't know exactly why (whether it is different pistons or the head design). Anyway.. the potential. The vtec in the d17 isn't true vtec. Before vtec kicks in, each cylinder is operating on only 1.5 valves, after it kicks in, the second intake valve is opened all the way up. In the LX, each cylinder is working on the full valve stroke the whole time. But to really find out if my theory is true, I would need to have a cam custom made, which I may very well do one day, but for now I'll have to keep guessing.