Turn Signal and Dim Headlight Issue

JDvorsky96Si

So I just got my first civic, its a 1996 Si (appears to be completely stock aside from the radio), and I noticed that the passenger side headlight was really dim and the turn signal wasn't working. I replaced both but the turn signal still doesn't work properly (It does flash now, but really quickly as if it was burnt out) and the headlight is still really dim.

I read up on some threads and it could be a grounding issue, but I wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions and if anyone could tell me where the grounding points are on the passenger side of the car.

Also the drivers side lock can't be moved into the lock position unless the door is closed. So if I have the door open and press the power-lock switch it locks the passenger side but the drivers only moves a bit and appears to get stuck. I tried pushing it manually but it won't budge. But as soon as I close the door and use the key on the outside or try it manually or the switch on the inside it works fine.

Thanks in advance!

-Jdvorsky

RonJ

Banned
Are both the low and high beam headlights on the passenger side dim? If so, clean and tighten the G201 ground connection.

Attachments

RonJ

Banned
Also the drivers side lock can't be moved into the lock position unless the door is closed. So if I have the door open and press the power-lock switch it locks the passenger side but the drivers only moves a bit and appears to get stuck. I tried pushing it manually but it won't budge. But as soon as I close the door and use the key on the outside or try it manually or the switch on the inside it works fine.
This^ is by design to keep you from locking your keys in the car.

JDvorsky96Si

Thanks Ron, Ill check the ground tomorrow when theres some day light. And I thought thats what was happening with the doors, just annoying that I have to turn around and lock it with my key when I get out.

RonJ

Banned
And I thought thats what was happening with the doors, just annoying that I have to turn around and lock it with my key when I get out.
You could also pull the inner handle to toggle the lock inside the door. Give it a try. Do you have the owner's manual for your car?

RonJ

Banned
Ok I'll try that tomorrow as well, and no unfortunately my car didn't come with the owners manual
I'll post copies of relevant pages from my 97 Civic owner's manual. You may be able to download an owner's manual online. Do a search on this site and Google.

JDvorsky96Si

Sweet thanks, also I found the ground wire today and it was actually loose. I tightened it and all is good now. Thanks for the help ron!

RonJ

Banned
Here's the relevant page in the Owner's Manual. The locking procedure described works with either the outside or inside door handle.

Attachments

JDvorsky96Si

Hey so I've noticed over the last couple days that my drivers side head light is sometimes dim. The turn signal is fine and if I flick my high beams on and off then the light goes back to normal. I had a grounding issue on the passenger side before but I cant find the ground on the drivers side. I have PS, Cruise and the Wash fluid tank on that side is it possibly under those?

Thanks,

Jake