turn signal issue

adam.b

I've got an issue with my FRONT LEFT turn signal. all other turn signals work fine (except for rapid blinking). the light goes on when headlights are on but still won't blink. not having a fresh bulb on hand, i swapped the right and left turn signal bulbs. this did absolutely nothing. its a 1990 Si Hatch. any help is greatly appreciated.

Adam

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sounds like a problem with the bulb's socket/harness. The rapid blinking you get is caused from the lack of resistance in the circuit of the non-functioning turn signal bulb. Check the turn signal bulb wire harness for corrosion or a loose wire.

adam.b

i was kind of afraid of that. this car has SO much aftermarket/random wiring and other crap. but I will try to find the faulty area. thanks Billy.

adam.b

ok... now I'm just confused. i was online looking for replacement parts (sockets,wiring,etc.) when i realized that the working front turn signal isn't even the the turn signal. that is to say, the flashing light isn't the designated turn signal... this is my first Honda (first car ever actually) which light is supposed to blink? the one that does is the side marker i guess.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Can you be more specific on which bulb is blinking when the turn signal is on, and which is not? From your wording it sounds like someone ran the turn signal wire to the driving light...

adam.b

ok. the light that flashes (turn signal AND hazard) is the furthest right amber light in the picture. this is on the Right/passenger side of the car. on the left/driver side no lights flash. However, when headlights are switched on, ALL lights illuminate solid.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:smackself

Honestly, I don't have any experience working with that generation civic, so somebody else is going to have to chime in here. I don't know which lights are supposed to have turn signals, and which are driving lights on that model!

adam.b

thanks for your help anyways. any idea where i could download the owners manual? that could have some answers...

RonJ

Banned
The turn signal bulb, like any conventional bulb, requires voltage on one terminal and ground on the other. Use a multimeter to check the turn signal receptacle terminals for battery voltage to body ground and continuity to body ground.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
thanks for your help anyways. any idea where i could download the owners manual? that could have some answers...
The link on the bottom of ron's signature :D

adam.b

HAHA. i will try to get my hands on a meter... what i don't understand is if the bulb works, why will it not flash. also:
RonJ, any idea which light is supposed to flash anyways??

adam.b

Do not panic - you have some time. You don't have to pull over right away. But don't ignore this light! You have anywhere from a half-hour to a day or even longer, depending on how much charge is left in the battery.
Turn off all unnecessary electrical accessories, such as the radio, heater, defroster headlights and windshield wipers.

:???:
what??