Turning my kitten into a LION!

Civv

So doing a cold air intake is pretty pricey, even with buying one off ebay and slapping on a good filter is still around $100, which i'd rather spend on a pair of nikes. So um, do muffler or exhaust tips work? does it make your car sound louder? I don't want a whole catback exhaust. It takes too much time and will make it look/sound ricey. I want a quick, easy and cheap way to get a roar! Any help?

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
You could throw on a tip or just exhaust from the axle back. Not going to add any power, but if you're just too cheap then have at it.. ebay has tons of cheap crap I'm sure you can afford.

You will just have to go have a shop weld it onto your exhaust unless you can do it yourself.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
its not gonna do anything cause its a tip. der

civhatch92

That's my honda.
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
It'll change the sound some, no power gains what so ever though.

leothelion

d:p
Registered VIP
It'll change the sound some, no power gains what so ever though.
really? i guess it depends on the tip. but this is how it breaks down, you see nice tips everywhere now, and all of them have the tail coming right to the end. so there is no way that it would affect the sound. now i could see if you cut the tail short and then put on a tip, it could resonate some, but the way that 99% of tips are installed it wont do anything other than just look nice. anyways, your not going to get a nice deep sound out of a tip. only cheap thing i can say to change the sound is put a fart can on there, and that is...well...dont do it lol. I have a nice tip on mine from ebay for 5 bucks shipped. i have had people ask me what kinda exhaust i have on there, cuz they think i have the full thing.

Civv

thanks civ. i was thinking of getting an axleback. catbacks seem like a lot of work. lol

joe7987

Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Catbacks are not a lot of work at all. Any novice can do it. If you have a ratchet, some jack stands, and an hour or two you're good to go. It's a literal, unbolt the old and bolt on the new, procedure.

A tip will do nothing but change the look of the end of your exhaust. An axle back will change the sound and the look. A catback will change the sound, the look and will give performance gains.

You said catbacks sound ricey. This is not true. Some catbacks sound ricey.. just like some axlebacks sound ricey. Many many many catbacks are deep, throaty, and sound very powerful. Go on youtube and type in the names of several exhaust systems and you'll be able to hear clips of how each one sounds on various vehicles. Make sure you do that before you commit to buying any type/brand of exhaust.

Irish92Drifter

Yeah i jsut ordered my Yonaka Catback Exhaust... for about 300$ its a rly good buy... 4.25" tip on it and it has a very deep roar not a ricey Raspy Hiss...

Civv

The thing is, you have to get an expensive-ish (200+) catbak for it to sound amazing and not like a fart can rice mobile. What would be a good brand or type of axle back?

Ej8Kid

Too Much Traction
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I came in here expecting a partially shaved cat lol. OP, check out Apexi WS2. I don't have it but a lot of people like it. I have a vibrant muffler on mine.

98civb18c

Banned
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
help support the real deal part makers instead of putting them out of business to the s*** quality replicas.

95coupeWI

Registered VIP
:word: Even buying a name brand muffler, then have a local exhaust shop custom bend you piping. I got my exhaust piped for 100$ locally.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
buying cheap never got anyone enaywhere...

do it right the first time...

UCCRacing

No Fun
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member

Civv

then buying a new exhaust is out of question, i dont have the funds to drop 300 on a new exhaust. ):

MistahJuice

100% real juice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Well then save up till you do have funds. I understand not everyone has all the money in the world but if this is something you really want you should just research a till you find one with a sound you'll like, save up, and do it that way you don't spend $100 and end up disappointed that you did it ya know?