two cat exhaust?

onesiphorus

5+ Year Member
Last week I took my hatch into get the smog test done. I changed out the entire bolt on stuff back to stock. I did a major tune-up oil change egr valve o2 sensor timing plugs with wires. I failed my co part of the test @ the 15 mph part of the test.
The tec. said that I am running to rich and my cat is not getting hot enough. RonJ sent me a thread that I might have a problem with my temp. (Thanks Ron) checked that all out everything was good except my radiator fan was not working. Changed that out now temp is fine. I have been running locus fuel injector cleaner and the car is running great.
Drove from work yesterday and went direct to the smog test only place. Got right in and tested the car again and it failed even worse. This time the 15 and 25 mph test failed the tec. said that I am still running to rich. Is there any way to lean the mix down? That is what the o2 sensor is for right? Do ca cars run two cat's one in the front by the radiator and one in the middle of the car? I look and there seems to be one there but it does not look like any cat that I have ever seen. The front cat is new and I can change out the back cat if that is what it is.

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you should only have one cat and one 02 sensor pre-cat

psychotic_civic

The got some stuff they sell at Wal-Mart and parts stores that you put into your fuel before you go for emissions that makes you pass. haha my friend lives in Dallas where they smog and he has a 400whp half bridge ported RX-7 with 3" straight pipe turbo back and he passed by using that stuff

onesiphorus

5+ Year Member
i just got home from spending the day in down town San Bernardino. i talked with several tec's. about my problem with the smog crap, that i have been going through. they said put another cat on the car so i did. it cost 130 dollars and past the test with the best numbers ever. great deal.
so then i asked the guy how much to replace the entire exhust system, 170.00 with 2/14 pipe and a whicked flow muffler. we changed my header and replaced the entire system in just a few hours. I came home and replaced my stock intake with cold air intake, what a differance breathing makes.

31dev31

Chillin' Canadian Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
Drive on the highway for like 20 minutes before going in for the test.

onesiphorus

5+ Year Member
i did try driving on the freeway for one hour at about 85 mph. when't to the test place and got right in. the test was worse that the week before. once the cat is bad it is bad, burned out... the problem was that the stock cat for my car is the one in front of the motor. this one is very expective about 250 after market. in the great state of califorcation you must run everything stock. there for if they don's see that cat they will not test the car... plus no one will ship this cat into califorina. there for the second cat not many will look under the car when they see the stock cat in the right place.

by the way the HC went from 62 down to 11, the CO from 0.69 down to 0.09, and the NO from 0491 to 0... the engin is running cleaner that it did new.

i hope that this might help anybody else in this state with this problem.

onesiphorus

5+ Year Member
obd1 or obd2

I have a 93 honda civic vx hatch. is this a obd1 or 2? i have changed the motor from a d15z1 to a d15b jspect. i have a header off a 94 cx d16 somthing non v-tec 4-2-1 with 2" out the back.

the problem is that in intake is very small about 1.5" and i can not get enouf air in inorder to allow it to breath properly.

what can i do to fix this?

CHILD

All Day, All JDM
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
your car is obd-1
get a cheap pipe (ebay/autozone) and a K&N filter

legal options, AEM short ram or cold air intake, B16 oem intake arm, ITR oem intake arm

BlownGasket

Civic From Hell
5+ Year Member
Running that fuel injector cleaner will really mess up your cat. It kills the life of them and if you try to pass smog while burning it... well... good luck. however, clean your plugs. clean your points on your distributor, stock airbox is a must almost. also. put your header back on and if it has an o2 sensor hole farther down the line like right by the cat, extend the wires on your sensor and put it down there. that will decrease your nox reading as well as your co2 reading. i did that and mine passed. a new cat is always a good bet too. grab you a cheap one from autozone or any parts store like that and it will about 60 bucks. fab up some flanges or just tig weld it on and get your test. take it off when you pass. put it back on the next year. simple. but effective.