Two questions

jvictim

I have my 97 dx hatch that was completely stock and have been slowly but surely building it.
I put a aem short ram intake on and a new muffler, but had a question on a header - I've heard that putting a new header in can/will decrease gas mileage? I love the great efficiency of this car and I don't even want 5 mpg loss. Do they decrease fuel efficiency? and do they really boost the power or just a few hp?

Second question is I've been thinking about lowering it, although stock height is pretty low, I could see a subtle 1.5" drop sometime. My only concern is it being lowered in the winter - I live in upstate new york in a quite rural area and winters aren't too joyful on the road out in the country where I live. Does anyone live in an area with decently bad winters and have any problems driving lowered?

jerk334

Hearts my SOHC
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
f**k it, people take things out of context.

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
You shouldn't need a tune if you're only running I/H/E. Your stock ECU should be more than sufficient enough to handle it. Just reset your ECU by disconnecting the negative battery terminal for about 15 minutes. This will reset the maps to learn off your new mods. Gas mileage may suffer for a week or two as the engine gets used to the new readings, but will be back to normal soon.

Also, it's not fuel pressure you change when tuning an ECU. Your fuel pump will pump the same amount of gas that it is designed to, so if you have a 255LPH fuel pump, it will only pump 255LPH. Fuel Pressure is regulated by the FPR attached to the fuel rail, which is mechanically controlled by a spring, diaphragm and vacuum. When tuning an ECU's fuel maps, you are tuning the Injector Duty Cycle Percentage.

As for the lowering. Sorry man. I'm from Central Cali. I only get snow in snow cones.

2slo4u

wait4me
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
What is stated above should help you out. As for the lowering part, just get some coilovers so you can raise and lower your car as you please depending on wheather in your area.

jvictim

So as far as a header is concerned, no tune necessary? Just reset the ECU and it should adjust itself and the fuel delivery won't be affected in the end?
And the lowering, all I need is some coilovers and it wouldn't be any problem to lower and then raise back up a few months later depending on seasons?
Thank you very much.

xiong87

you wouldnt even need to reset the ecu if you didnt want to. as for gas I/H/E wont do much harm to your gas mileage you notice a little change but it wont be enough to be like WHOA!!! haha

and if you wanna drop your car drop it 1.5-2inch only if your gonna be driving it all year round! you can still get away with it most of the time in the winter! just have some snow tires :D i do it all the time! and my car is 3in lowered

jvictim

Any recommendations for coilovers? I've seen sets range from as low as $75 all the way to $1000.
I know some Skunk2 coilovers are only like 250, they good enough?

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
Definitely stay away from the ones under $200.

But yeah, I recommend the Skunk2 Coilovers. From the price, I'm pretty sure you are looking at the Coilover Sleeves. But you also have to take into consideration that when you upgrade the springs to a higher spring rate (with lowering springs or coilover sleeves), you will also need a shock that has a match shock rate. So I suggest also getting the Skunk2 shocks which will be around $300 for the set.

Can't argue with the company that had the first 10 second naturally aspirated car in the world.

jvictim

Just buying coilover sleeves won't work? I'd need shocks replaced to?
Would it be more efficient to just buy a lowering (shock and spring) kit?
Or just spend 800 on an actual coilover set?

Sorry, I don't have much experience at all with car suspension.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Get an actual coilover set, and for winter, I recommend adjustables. They're definitely not the most comfortable, but I raise my car every winter a good 2 inches back to almost stock height and I'm usually fine..

jvictim

Not comfortable as in a rough ride?
Any recommendation for a good set of adjustables that aren't too expensive and have a pretty smooth ride?

2NRSTV

Team Exile/ADO Garage
Registered VIP
Problem is, most coilover setups (and even shocks and springs) will have higher spring rates and shock rates due to the shorter range of travel and the fact that they are geared for performance rather than comfort.
I would recommend getting a Full Coilover setup rather than the Sleeve setup.
I would recommend the Skunk2 Pro-S Coilovers.

Jason00

5+ Year Member
've got the koni fully adjustable coilovers, they ride smooth enough for me, it's nothing luxurious though. And I can adjust my ride height from nearly stock all the way to 3 inches of drop.

One of my buddies just bought springs and used his stock strut, The worst feeling ever compared to factory or full coilover suspension... IMO anyways