Type-r Boosting??? Is It Possible

Jersey8

B20: Detroit Muscle!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
blackedition-hb said:
THATS KINDA WHAT I TOLD HIM, YOUR PSI LEVEL WILL BE LOW BECUZ OF ALL THAT COMPRESSION, HES GOT CLOSE TO 5K TO BUILD THIS MOTOR, THATS 5K AFTER THE SWAP. IM LOOKING AT SOME OF THE HARDCORE RACERS AND THEY ALL HAVE GSR's... Y IS THIS.... COULD IT BE THAT GSR'S HANDLE TURBO ALOT BETTER THATN TYPE-R'S.... WHAT I WOULD DO IS DROP A GSR MOTOR IN AND BOOST THAT. OR SOME WOULD SAY GO EVEN CHEAPER AND BOOST A B16... WHAT DO YOU THINK???
i had the same dilemma i couldnt decide between type r or gsr. a buddy of mine with a civic has been through 10 engines and he said hed go with the type r.

blackedition-hb

5+ Year Member
i kinda like the whole idea of boosting a type-r, its just the price that bothers me and the possiblity that the engine may blow there goes 5k down the toilet. but i know gsr's, in my opinion are the best for boosting, and from what ive seen at the tracks ever guy out there has got a gsr boosted, its kinda like they dont trust the type-r to be the best when its fully built boosted or all motor. whats up with that, is the type-r only good in its early stages, and how come the best racers dont use them if there so great? can someone explain???

Shaun_Ek

myspacebarisbroken
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
blackedition-hb said:
i kinda like the whole idea of boosting a type-r, its just the price that bothers me and the possiblity that the engine may blow there goes 5k down the toilet. but i know gsr's, in my opinion are the best for boosting, and from what ive seen at the tracks ever guy out there has got a gsr boosted, its kinda like they dont trust the type-r to be the best when its fully built boosted or all motor. whats up with that, is the type-r only good in its early stages, and how come the best racers dont use them if there so great? can someone explain???
the truth is that type r swaps are expensive and are not worth the money unless you have it, only thing diffrenet in a type r is the compression, cams, which makes more power than the gsr or si etc. ,alos the LSD tranny... a complete type r swap is around 5k?? so why spend it if you can buy a used gsr for around 2 k, build it and boost it, 300 for rods 400 for pistons bearings labor 400-500 etc., you could buy 12:1 piston put it in a gsr a rape a type r all day so thats why type r's are overrated and not worth the money to me, only thing good that i would use out of a type r if i were turbo would be there cams.... I would go with a gsr or ls block built 9:1 pistons , eagle rods , type r cams nice size turbo , gsr tranny , hondata ... 400hp all day

sky9

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i say he sale that itr motor and get b20, with 5k thats more then enuff,to boost the b20.

blackedition-hb

5+ Year Member
whats the stock hp on a b20 motor and what is the setup to boost one, do u change the block to something of a gsr????? and y is a b20 so popular nowadays what does it add that other engines dont have???

Shaun_Ek

myspacebarisbroken
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
blackedition-hb said:
whats the stock hp on a b20 motor and what is the setup to boost one, do u change the block to something of a gsr????? and y is a b20 so popular nowadays what does it add that other engines dont have???
the b20 block has a bigger bore meanings its 2.0 aka its 84mm , also it has the same crank as the LS block...... thats why... its nothing gsr

BuiltforSin

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
you can boost them, but i wouldnt take it past 7psi on stock internals. I seen some run at 10psi on stock internals though they have a VERY good tune. Personally I think it's pointless... if you were going turbo you should've bought a gsr motor and spent the left over money for turbo parts, but hey man. whatever you wanna do.

blackedition-hb

5+ Year Member
So basically you can boost a b20 just keep the psi around 7, but is a b20 meant to be a all motor engine. i dont know to much about this motor so can someone please give me some more information about this b20.

Shaun_Ek

myspacebarisbroken
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
blackedition-hb said:
So basically you can boost a b20 just keep the psi around 7, but is a b20 meant to be a all motor engine. i dont know to much about this motor so can someone please give me some more information about this b20.
a b20 can be n/a or ford inducted, the bigger bore, and crank will make yeild more power than the gsr... 7-10psi with a good tune on a stock b20 is possible, 12:1 compresson on a b20 with a good tune is possible, ls and b20 have the same crank so i dont see why people say b20's are crappy when i see people taking LS's vtecs and b20's vtecs to 8k all day