Under hood Fuse Box yellow goop question

sensepermile

Hi everyone.

The check engine light came on on my 2002 Honda Civic EX 1.7L automatic coupe with about 161,000 miles on it. I went to O'Reilly and had them pull the codes. They showed a P1298 code. So I looked up how to fix the code and it told me to open up the underside of the under hood fuse box. When I opened it, I noticed a lot of yellow/light gold goop on a bunch of connectors. Is this normal? Is there any way to clean them? I 'm just worried that it may effect performance.

Sorry if this is a dumb question and thank you,

Eric

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
:welcome: to ClubCivic!

That goop is dielectric grease, and is there to prevent moisture from getting in and shorting / ruining your electrical components. Nothing to worry about! :thumbs up

codesmith29

Respected
It's not to be clean ,and besides that won't be ur problem,you need to check things like oxygen sensors I know in Hondas that's a common problem

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
It's not to be clean ,and besides that won't be ur problem,you need to check things like oxygen sensors I know in Hondas that's a common problem
No. :wak: No. Please don't just tell members to throw parts at something that isn't related at all. Throwing an O2 sensor at a problem that is directly linked to a service bulletin about the ELD is careless and a waste of money. People will BELIEVE anything they read on the internet and will follow that advice blindly.

P1298 is directly related to THIS bulletin: http://engine-codes.com/uploads/honda/05-006.pdf

Replace the ELD. Part number 38255-S5A-003

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
I hate that code... replacing the ELD was NOT easy for me on my 6th gen.
Took me an hour + just because of the tight space. Some people just replace the entire fuse box.

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I hate that code... replacing the ELD was NOT easy for me on my 6th gen.
Took me an hour + just because of the tight space. Some people just replace the entire fuse box.
I remember hearing back in the day that was the only way to go about it until the ELD became available as a replacement by it's self some years after.

XpL0d3r

I had a Civic once.
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Yeah, you can replace just the ELD now. Before they would never even sell just an ELD by itself. I ended up getting a new ELD from Honda, but getting it into the fuse box is tough. I remember just getting frustrated with it because of the small area to work with.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No. :wak: No. Please don't just tell members to throw parts at something that isn't related at all. ... People will BELIEVE anything they read on the internet and will follow that advice blindly.
Agreed with Lethal6. An O2 sensor has nothing to do with that code. Proper trouble shooting using logical thinking is how to find proper resolutions or at least put you on the right track. As for Codesmith29's comments, O2 sensors are commonly replaced due to being older cars and negligent owners purchasing cheap non-NTK (OEM) O2 sensors which break down in a few short years. That , or stupid kids ragging on Civics to the point where they wear down O2 sensors. Honda (NTK) O2 sensors can last 150k-200k miles easy under average driving conditions.

codesmith29

Respected
No offense ,a point we'll taken ,in today's vehicles everything is basically not a mechanic guessing a problem ,it's a tool design to tell you basically where your problem lies

lethal6

Your Mom's Moderator
Staff member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
No mechanic should be guessing anyway. Doesn't matter what vehicle, new or old. Guessing is gambling and I for one don't want to throw money away on a guess and cross my fingers that just because one guy did it and it worked must mean that it will for me. Troubleshooting is the only way mechanic work should be tackled. Either mechanically, electrically, or by scan tool; troubleshooting is the only way to find out exactly what is wrong, which will...if done correctly point you in what direction to take.