Unsafe door locks

Status
Not open for further replies.

AGStylez

Custom Beats JDM
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
here's how it goes, my buddies and i all drive 3rd and 4th gen preludes, accords, and civic's. 2 of us have a 90 and 91 civic HB, dx, and SI.
all has been good until my buddy with a 90 prelude showed us he can open both our doors with his key.
even more surprising is the fact that he can start both our cars with his prelude key!!! and the key didn't need to stay in the ignition. all he had to do was stick his key in there, start the car, and take it out. and the cars would still be running.
i was thinking that if this can happen to both our cars, it might be possible for all 4th generation civic's that don't have an alarm w/ an immobilizer.
this experiance has convinced me further that an alarm is really needed if u wanna keep your civic.
and i think honda should take some sort of responsibility to a degree with this issue.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i've owned 3 4g hatches and have never had that happen to me, or ever heard of it happening, but this is a first.

rei

jSolo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thats strange.. Ive never heard this before.. Ive heard about with alot of ford cars though..??

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i've seen it once on a pontiac grand am, late 80's models that is.

Why49

Dat a big wing round eye!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So... anybody want to sell me an old Prelude key? =)

hondadna

Rep the 330!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I had this happen to me but with an 86 accord lxi, it would start my 87 and 89 accord, and my old 92 civic. the 86 key only matched the 89's key but could start the 87 accord and my 92 civic lx. it was karzy cause i could remove the key with out shuting off the cars,,,,, i tryed it on my 93 but no go and had lost it before i got my 95 so couldnt try it

AGStylez

Custom Beats JDM
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
nah man, his prelude key looks normal, not worn out and thinned.
and his key is longer than both our civic's key's. i was skeptical at first, until he did it right in front of me. i'm just glad he's one of my best friends. his key used to open our other buddy's 86 civic. i didn't expect it to be able to open the 4th gens, must less start them.
it's funny, i've never had them happen to the 3rd gen accords yet. we have an 89 and 88 in our group and the locks are solid.

blazinrex

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
AGStylez said:
here's how it goes, my buddies and i all drive 3rd and 4th gen preludes, accords, and civic's. 2 of us have a 90 and 91 civic HB, dx, and SI.
all has been good until my buddy with a 90 prelude showed us he can open both our doors with his key.
even more surprising is the fact that he can start both our cars with his prelude key!!! and the key didn't need to stay in the ignition. all he had to do was stick his key in there, start the car, and take it out. and the cars would still be running.
i was thinking that if this can happen to both our cars, it might be possible for all 4th generation civic's that don't have an alarm w/ an immobilizer.
this experiance has convinced me further that an alarm is really needed if u wanna keep your civic.
and i think honda should take some sort of responsibility to a degree with this issue.

i had the same problem with ma 90 crx until i bought a viper alarm. plus i have put way to much time and hard work for me to risk getting it stolen. i found this out about ma hatch when i locked ma keys in ma car(before the alarm) and my freind helped me open it back up, he used his 90 prelude key to open it, didnt know u could start it though.

Last edited by a moderator:

rei

jSolo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
this disturbs me.. I wonder if my friends key for his crx will work on mine? theyre both DXs.. his just an 88 and mine is a 90..

ekracer_83

hardcore rice
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
in that case, get a wheel lock or get those wheel where you can take it off when you park the car.
alarm won't help much.

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ekracer_83 said:
in that case, get a wheel lock or get those wheel where you can take it off when you park the car.
alarm won't help much.
Nahh, an alarm with a starter cut out will be fine. a thief would have to power up the relay or reconnect the starter wire and that takes time which defeats the purpose of having a key that starts the car. Then there's always the kill switch option.

"The Club" is useless because "The Steering Wheel" can be cut and "The Club" becomes "The Litter" in a parking lot .

blazinrex

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
(holy s**t speak of the devil) this mornin at 3:30 a.m. i got up for work and hurd ma car alarm go off. so i reacted and ran outside. the driverside door was wide open and there was no one around, i then began to drive around with a 9 iron golf club with ma lights off lookin for the person in ma complex. then walked around with the club hoping for someone to confront me on this matter, im in a state of pissed off i have never been be4.

AGStylez

Custom Beats JDM
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
man, i think it's time to start shaving the door handles off my car. haha, they'll prolly break the window though.

blazinrex

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
AGStylez said:
man, i think it's time to start shaving the door handles off my car. haha, they'll prolly break the window though.
my freind has a mazda protoge with shaved handles and the guy broke the window to get in, the dumbass who did it left his cell phone in the car and took nothing.

rollinj86

Hit the vtec
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ hahahah lets go beat his ass and shove that phone up his ass.

EM1_ProJect

Yeah...it's boosted
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
they make master key's.....maybe he has one, who knows. im sure it's hard to get them though, unless you work at a dealership or a repo place or something though.

Tom

honda.co.jp
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
i work for a dealership, the myth of a master key is very false.

EM1_ProJect

Yeah...it's boosted
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
jspeczcturbo said:
i work for a dealership, the myth of a master key is very false.
really? i always wondered how one key could fit any lock lol....good to know it's fake

Beelzebubba

SubGenius Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
The master key purposely made by the manufacturer is fake. I don't know about the Honda keys but the one key happens to fit multiple cars on Fords is very real. It wasn't planned by the manufacturer to work that way, it just does.

Status
Not open for further replies.