Until tomorrow...

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Sick car man! Can't wait for more updates.. =)
thanks man!

Can I get an opinion on teh almighty motor build? It will be:
B16 Head:
ITR cams
ITR intake manifold / tb
Slight port match / polish (intake / exhaust sides)

GSR Block:
GSR Crank / Rods
B16 Pistons

Si Tranny:
ITR LSD / final drive.

It seems like the setup will yield about 11.1:1 with usdm b16 pistons and 11.3:1 with jdm pistons.

Would this be safe to DD on 91 octane? I'm thinking so, but just wanted other opinions.

Anything else i'm missing? Maybe ARP headstuds / rodbolts?

matt96ex

3 pedals ftw
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
seems like a good list to me. i like to see your using all oem stuff. thats pretty cool, hope it all works out for ya!

Going-West

Tree people on my radio
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thats pretty much the same build I was doing. You'll be fine on 91. If the motors going to be apart you might as well use ARP to put it all back together. It's worth it.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
right on, any suggestions on a throttle body size?

VTi_ME

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
looking good evan ,keep it up!!

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Thats pretty much the same build I was doing. You'll be fine on 91. If the motors going to be apart you might as well use ARP to put it all back together. It's worth it.
:word:
i think you can run 12:1 CR on 91 octane so you should be safe i think. if it does knock at all upgrade the cooling components to bring the operating temp down and it will help a lot

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:word:
i think you can run 12:1 CR on 91 octane so you should be safe i think. if it does knock at all upgrade the cooling components to bring the operating temp down and it will help a lot
word. I'm stilling deciding whether to go NA with a poormans type-r or boost the b16.

Either way, on a note of cooling, I picked up the oem oil cooler setup for $50 :thumbup:

Pics when it comes in.

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
word. I'm stilling deciding whether to go NA with a poormans type-r or boost the b16.

Either way, on a note of cooling, I picked up the oem oil cooler setup for $50 :thumbup:

Pics when it comes in.
niceee. add a fan switch and a thermostat and it should be golden. dont think you'll need to go dual core rad unless you want the aesthetic benefits of one :D. mishimoto makes a quality low-price rad for like $150 > what im using and i like it

Scorchsta

huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
+1 on the Mishimoto. I also got a slim Mishimoto fan with it. Cools fantastically (if that's a word?).

Billy.

Has returned ;-)
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
+1 on the Mishimoto. I also got a slim Mishimoto fan with it. Cools fantastically (if that's a word?).
did you have clearance issues with the OEM fan? i was thinking about getting a new fan b/c my oem fan shroud is f**ked up cuz my wastegate was blowing on it for a while :roll:, so i was looking at the slim fans and wondered how good they worked:?:

Scorchsta

huh?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Works perfectly fine for me. All together, the fan and radiator are around 2" thinner than the stock stuff. If I had even tried to put the stock fan on the radiator I would have had issues fitting it. My intake pipe for the turbo runs right in front of the fan and almost touches it. That's why I went with the slim fan.

duFf_M@N

...""peep show""...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks man!

B16 Head:
ITR cams
ITR intake manifold / tb

GSR Block:
GSR Crank / Rods
B16 Pistons

Si Tranny:
ITR LSD / final drive.

It seems like the setup will yield about 11.1:1 with usdm b16 pistons and 11.3:1 with jdm pistons.

Would this be safe to DD on 91 octane? I'm thinking so, but just wanted other opinions.

sup?? lol ...

with that set up you're going to be fine with 91piss gas. I had ctr pistons on the b18c and skunk2 stage2 cams/retainers. I remember having a 13:1 comp... still knocked a small bit on 100oct.. even with the hondata 200 tune, but I had so much more to learn years ago..

as far as the arp headstuts and shuch.. it wouldn't hurt to reinforce for safety. I didn't purchase them, and nothing wrong with the setup I had.

still loving your em1.....;)

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks man!

B16 Head:
ITR cams
ITR intake manifold / tb

GSR Block:
GSR Crank / Rods
B16 Pistons

Si Tranny:
ITR LSD / final drive.

go K if staying NA. :Raza:

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
sup?? lol ...

with that set up you're going to be fine with 91piss gas. I had ctr pistons on the b18c and skunk2 stage2 cams/retainers. I remember having a 13:1 comp... still knocked a small bit on 100oct.. even with the hondata 200 tune, but I had so much more to learn years ago..

as far as the arp headstuts and shuch.. it wouldn't hurt to reinforce for safety. I didn't purchase them, and nothing wrong with the setup I had.

still loving your em1.....;)
Right on, dang you were up at 13:1 with your old motor?!?! How could you ever sell it. :shock:

go K if staying NA. :Raza:
I agree, I still think that I'm gonna boost it :thumbup:

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
member this was before the K craze.... good luck with the boosting project....:cool:
thanks. After I'm done we'll have to put the two boosted beasts side by side... :twisted:

^ haha.

Evan.

iTrader EVERYthing
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
So I guess I have a bit of a question on my setup. I have everything set to go, but I still plan on boosting the motor down the road. Here's the thing, I really want some CTR / ITR cams (which would be fine on boost) but they need to be tuned. I'll also need to be tuned when I go boost.

The easiest option would be to go OBD1, but in cali that's gonna be horrible. I could use a CTR ECU for the CTR cams and then when it comes time to boost use e-manage or some similiar obd2 engine management program.

Thoughts?

killthisish

OMG LOL!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
So I guess I have a bit of a question on my setup. I have everything set to go, but I still plan on boosting the motor down the road. Here's the thing, I really want some CTR / ITR cams (which would be fine on boost) but they need to be tuned. I'll also need to be tuned when I go boost.

The easiest option would be to go OBD1, but in cali that's gonna be horrible. I could use a CTR ECU for the CTR cams and then when it comes time to boost use e-manage or some similiar obd2 engine management program.

Thoughts?
I'd go with what you suggested yourself. I understand with the CA and OBD1 part because I actually have some secondhand experience with all the bullsh*t that goes down. But yeah.. I'm sure switching out the ECU afterwards would be your best bet.