Upper Engine Cleaner!!!

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Just sucked a 1/4 can of Seafoam upper engine cleaner through one of the vacuum lines on the top of the TB at 142k on the clock. It was idling rough and hunting for idle before and had NEVER been cleaned . WOW what a diff. it idles better than new now!! :D

civic1582

CCSC #86
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
now that you posted this in the how-to section, care to tell us how to do it?

shortlid

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Pull any of a Vacuum lines going to the TB!

1. Warm the car up to operating temp.

2. Pull ANY of the vacuum lines going to the TB of the car.

3. Pour 1/3 of the can of Seafoam into a dish and put the vacuum hose into the dish.

4. Actuate the throdle with yopur other hand and the vac. line will suck the Seafoam into the engine and produce white smoke.

5. After you are finished sucking out the last bit shut the car off and let it sit for 5 min. and reconnect the hose.

6. Then take the car our and red line shift the first three gears, lots of white smoke will be produced :twisted:

7. Put teh rest of the Seafoam in you tank and fill it up.

Your done and idling great!! Might turn on CEL due to misfires but Auto Zone can shut them off for free!! :lol:

Red

You Tax Dollars at Work!
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
A few suggestions:

3. Try using a small funnel stuck in the end of the tube (like $0.46 at an autoparts store)
4. No need to actuate the throttle.... it's a vacuum line. It will suck it in on its own... especially if you use a funnel.
5. Letting it sit for 10 minutes is a better bet to make sure it cleans well enough.
6. Turn on your car and let it idle until most of the smoke clears and then give it a good hard drive. This will prevent the misfires and possible engine damage due to the fast burning cleaner you just put in.

neaky

Nexus One
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Thanks for the info shortlid, I think I'll do that to mine, it has 309,000 km's on it, lol. Great tips Red.

silvertuner98

Banned
also, another way to do the manifold clean is to take sum carb cleaner and spray it into the throttle body and use about 1/2 the can while the car is running and up to temp. dont let it die. run ur rpms up a little bit while doing it. then do the same as the sea foam s**t, only, use auto trans fluid. just suck up a little bit at a time and listen to it spit and putter and smoke pourin out. then follow up with water. i know i know "what are you kidding me that is so stupid". i do it to my car every 5k and each time i can tell a difference. dont stick the vacuum line into the water or trans fluid. just let it suck a little at a time. or u can use the funnel and use a little at a time. this is the cheapest way to do this and damn near as effective as "sea foam"

1999stockaccord

Honduh's... LULZ
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
defitly gonna have to do that soon, 200,050 miles and still running strong

anekin007

Unregistered User
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
most big change autoparts dont carry it. the only one i know is napa.