Urgent: 1991 Civic Hatch Stalls when driving and at full temperture.

91dxhatchdd

5+ Year Member
Alright guys, it seems that I have a series problem that started about two weeks ago. Wednesday night, I was driving home from class. It was nice temp was about 65-70 and not a cloud in the sky. I get to the first light that I have turn and everything was good, until I went to turn to get on the main road. At this point, my car starts to sputter and acted like it was going to stall., but I kept my foot on the gas and it was fine after that, no delays, no sputtering, no out of the normal behavior. It did it again the following week, but just did the same thing and it was fine.

Fast forward to Sunday, I was parking my car after work and as I was backing it up, the car stalls out of the blue. I look it as a fluke thing, because of the fact that it started right back up.

The next day, it was fine. I ran it down and back the Garden State Parkway with no problems. Later that night, I leave to go to a meeting on campus. The car was running great, considering that it was cool out, and everything was great until I got about five miles from campus.

As I'm driving along minding my own business, I hear a loud pop and my check engine light comes on. The next thing I know, I'm coasting along at 70 MPH, almost like I wasn't getting any fuel. I pull the car over to the shoulder, shut it off and try to start it again. Unfortunately, the car doesn't start again. I call my father and he runs down and we try to restart it again. All it does is turn over, but it doesn't start. We finally broke down and towed the car to a friend's house, where we left it over night.

We though it was the main relay, so we replaced it this morning and the car started up great again. With the problem solved, my father and I went in different directions and I stopped to get gas.

I stop to get gas and get not farther then less than 50 feet from the gas station and my car starts running rough again and stalls out. I manage to push the car into an empty lot and I want for my father to come from work.

He gets there we put a cocktail for water remover and gas drier in the tank, thinking that it was just bad gas. The car starts up again and is running great. We drop off his truck at the food store I work at and we head up the parkway to see if it's alright.

Well, we managed to get about 300 feet from the rest area that we use to get on and off the parkway, we hear a pop and the car stalls in the middle lane, coasting at 70 mph, and the check engine light comes on. We wait about and hour and the car starts up finally after it cooled off, after about an hour or an hour and half. We get it going and it stall again. Only this time we're in the rest area.

So we let it sit and go inside and have lunch. After about an hour, we go out and try it again. Sure enough, the car starts up and we drive off. We get into the development that we live in and the she stalls out for a third time.

So right now I'm waiting for it to cool off so I can drive it the rest of the way up the street, only about 200 yards, to my house. The main problem is that when the car stalls out when it gets up to full temp and won't start up again until after it's completely cooled off. The odd thing is that it's fine one minute and the next there's a loud pop and the car is done until it cools off.

Has any else experienced this. If so what cause it to just shut off the fuel pump? Please help and sorry for such a long post.

Phatdx

No Longer Has A DX
5+ Year Member
same thing with my 94 4d no loud pop tho i bet its the distributor mine would run 4 5min then shut off and not re start until it cooled bout an hour later C if u r getting any spark my guess its the distributor thats what mine was

91dxhatchdd

5+ Year Member
/\ Thanks bro, I'll keep it in mind. The thing is that when we got the car back on the road a little over a year ago, we totally replaced the distributor with a new one. Thanks again.

Dannyloski

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
What is the CEL Code are you getting? That would be the very first thing to check and will more than likely tell you what the issue is.

Also, from what I read you're saying the car's Temp Gauge reaches "H" as its completely Hot?? If so, as soon as you see the Temp Needle getting past 3/4 of the Temp Gauge turn the Car Off, you are causing damage to the Motor by running the car like that.

91dxhatchdd

5+ Year Member
What is the CEL Code are you getting? That would be the very first thing to check and will more than likely tell you what the issue is.

Also, from what I read you're saying the car's Temp Gauge reaches "H" as its completely Hot?? If so, as soon as you see the Temp Needle getting past 3/4 of the Temp Gauge turn the Car Off, you are causing damage to the Motor by running the car like that.
I'm gonna check the code over the weekend. My father was wondering what it was blinking when this is happening. Also, It's only going up to just a little below half when this is happening. My car normally runs just below half when this happens. I guess that I'm gonna have to keep looking around to see what the problem is.

1991civicZC

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it might just be my car (91 dx hatch zc swap) but my car temp gauge never moves well barely in stop/go traffic. it runs great but had done this once but not since i replaced my distributor and spark plugs... it runs warm not hot and cools pretty quickly if i shut it off maybe 5 min. not even joking :P try not pumping gas if you are that may mess things a bit lol may flood engine or may just be driving car a big hard...

what knd of engine and mods are done to the car??? something you have done to it may be a possibility?