urgent help!

white comet

so my 1990 civic hatch has been randomly bucking while driving. it almost feels like the car is about to die/stall out the main speed that it does this at is around 55-60, but for the most part the car feels some what normal when in d3 driving but when its in d4 the car is dangeriouly unsafe especially accelerating onto highways.. i think it has something to do with the fuel system but im not sure. i know that the information i have given is a little vauge but any ideas on what it might be... this is my daily driver so i hope to fix this before it gets worse. thank you forum members for any help provided.

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Yep sounds like either a timing or fuel issue.

white comet

im still a little new to the honda game but what about the timing do u think could be wrong? just the belts?

RealRabbit

Registered VIP
If it was a serious issue with timing you'd have a lot more issues. Not guaranteed but likely. Try to move the distributor by hand to see if it maybe wiggled. For fuel id replace the fuel filter. I'm not usually big on throwing parts at cars, but even if it doesn't fix the problem it's good to change. The fuel filter is often neglected. Start small then work your way to bigger problems.

Sedan Life Member #5

white comet

thanks real rabbit im going to get the filter asap. btw i pulled into my drive way 5 minutes ago and when i put my car in park the car stalled out. idk if that helps to descibe the problem. but if any other ideas come to mind im open for options in case it isnt the filter or distributor

white comet

so yesterday i took off the distributor cap again and saw metal shavings inside the cap. the rotor in the cap was also loose. i dont think the rotor should be this loose.