Valve Cover Gasket Help

Fvckbg

Hey guys I have a 98 civic ex and I bought a new gasket and it came with the new seals. I replaced both the gasket and the seals but the problem is, is that when I put the cover back on the seals arent going thru where the spark plugs go. I cant even close the cover cause of the seals. I had to stop cause of the cold weather and now the oil is gonna dry out over night. Did I do anything wrong?

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Post some pictures so we see exactly what you're experiencing. It sounds like you may just need to be more careful when sliding on the valve cover. Perhaps aid the fitment of each cylinder using your finger.

Joe Mason

Respected
Registered VIP
Your oil won't dry out. Please post some pics like Hex said. It sounds like you're talking about the spark plug tube seals?

dancam

Registered VIP
Lube the spark plug tube seals before you try to slide them on. Then you gotta push hard once you make sure your not gonna damage any of the seals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncegen

I just did this about 15 minutes ago. I used a small flathead screwdriver to carefully go around each gasket, one at a time, while gently pushing on the valve cover.
The spark plug seals will stretch right around the tubes.

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Youre almost 3 months too late. Please check the last post dates before replying.