Valve Cover Problem

20civic04

5+ Year Member
So i took my valve cover off to paint it, and now i noticed that my check engine light is on after i put it back together. The only thing is i dont remeber if it was on or not before i took the valve cover off. Could taking off the valve cover and putting it back together turn on the check engine light if something is not sealed correctly. And last if the check engine light was already on could the fact that i have 155,000 miles on it cause it to be on?

hondagriff

Banned
Possible vac leak.....just run it over a OBD2 scanner to be positive. Its the only way to know for sure.

20civic04

5+ Year Member
Nevermind it just shut off. I think it had something to do with when i turned the car on (not engine running on just lights) with the spark plugs out.

20civic04

5+ Year Member
Nothin special just black.

Anyone know what part of the valve cover, or around the valve cover is? I was just about to close the hood and i went oh crap ! Damn it what did that come from.

khooper

5+ Year Member
Try tightening your gas cap. This often solves the problem. Keep in mind that it may take several trips before the light resets. Some vehicles have a separate indicator that warns of a loose gas cap before the condition sets off the "check engine" light.