Vented Hoods

Slipzee

5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I'm about to buy a carbon fiber hood, but what i was thinking about was the rain, surely the vented ones get the motor soaked? also as my civic is turbocharged is the water going to piss onto the turbo? or should i just get OEM hood?

$lick Rick

TEOTWAWKI
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Get a cf oem style hood.

yes, the water will go through the vents.

cold water on a hot turbo is a bad thing ;)

io_303

NIFOC
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
OEM will be best for the cooling of your turbo, the vents wont help. The low pressure created under the hood when driving will suck air under the hood and cool better. A vented hood will equalize the pressure and cause less air flow.

turboex17

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
You can get the vented if you really want but I've seen peoples engine with vented hoods and a lot of the pieces get rusted and it looks real bad. I would get the vented if you had another car you could drive when it rains if not go with oem style.

rei

jSolo
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
oem with some spacers.. itll raise the hood slightly in the rear, Id do that.. releases some hot air..

Wolfy

Your mom's boyfriend
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
neojen said:
oem with some spacers.. itll raise the hood slightly in the rear, Id do that.. releases some hot air..
...and looks super retarded too... whups... I meant "mad JDM yo"...

Blazed

f**k The Powers That B
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i had the vis evo...i never had water go in...
in the winter snow used to b stuck there..never gave me a single problem...
the vented hoods r actually better in one way..they have the insulation at the bottom that keeps the heat from f**kin with the hood..
i've seen a few hhoods on HT and even here that kind of just went down in the middle..most people say its from the heat....just thought i'd share...
i dunno about any other companies though..:what:

2kCivex

5+ Year Member
the turbo is gonna get enough cool air through the intercooler and front vents as it is... its not worth risking the rain in your engine compartment.... go OEM no vents

2kstreetcivic

Runnin to Redline
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
2kCivex said:
the turbo is gonna get enough cool air through the intercooler and front vents as it is... its not worth risking the rain in your engine compartment.... go OEM no vents

:werd: and OEM carbon fiber looks better than vented hoods anyways

CivicEX13

CC's Valve Cover Guy
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
i dont know i like my evo style hood....i m not a real big trend whore...i like my car to be a little different then others...just my 2 cents

vejita1283

import mechanic and racer
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
hmmm OEM, vented, which one? both are light weight, and it dont matter if its vented or not. evos and lancers got vents and nothing happens to them. i work on all imports and vented actually helps. to much heat from the turbos, specially if you want to boost more then 20+ psi, will mess up alot of s**t.electronics dont like heat lol. some of the guys where i go to school at made custom "water paths" where the vent is so it directs water and debri away from any components. if your freaked out that someone said your turbo will crack from water, then just heat wrap ur turbo with ceramics, or just add ur turbo somewhere that wont likey to get water on.