Very Basic Question.

panoptic_atx

5+ Year Member
HI all.

I have a 92 Civic, and it is slightly mod'ed out. It came that way when i bought it, and im not the brightest when it comes to cars. I am learning, and i had a basic question.

i discovered a small oil leak in my car. i went to trace where it was coming from as the top of the engine showed no sign of leaks. i crawled up under the car and the bottom of the oil pan had a thin layer of oil on it and i wimped it all off (As much as i could) and waited for a drip. it looks like it was coming from the oil drain plug.

i am going to go buy a new one today, as well as a washer, but i wanted to make sure i had the correct size for it. the size i have (and i know its mod'ed so it might be different, but the engine says honda so im going to assume its not) is 17 mm head with M14-1.50 thread size. can any one verify that is correct? also if the plug is stubborn to come out, or possibly stripped, can any one give me tips for getting it out? i just want to be prepaired.

thanks
adam

Genuine Rolla

Its PETEY PETE, y0!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
no need for two threads

JDM melbatoast

That's what she said..
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
go to the auto store and get the right drain plug from them....some have magnets in it and that will collect any metal shavings floating around in your oil.

say to the cashier, "I need an oil drain plus for a 92 civic ______ (ex, lx, si, dx, other..). Thank you for your service and cooperation." pay for the part then leave

caddy

I found Waldo
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Ya your parts store should have the size on file. Just tell them what year your civic/model civic is and they'll know. All 92-95 SOHC civics use the same drain plug. Make sure you get a gasket with it too, and don't get the plastic ones, they suck. Get the metal gasket.