**[VOTE] "Autumn" Photo Contest [VOTE]**

Vote for your favorite photo

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jdmwannabee

5+ Year Member
well im really new to photography but here goes.

i looked at each picture atleast 10 times and kept coming back to #3,#4, and #5.

the rest were really good but these three just stuck out to me.

#3 i liked becouse of the variety of colors and the pic looked like something out of a movie! it was close to perfect.

#4 i didn't really see alot to do with fall but i really like the pic. it makes me wish i could go see the location in person.

#5 is the one i ended up voting for, i love the trees over the pond and the car just threw a little extra kick into it. i would have voted for this pic even if the car was not in it.

abs0Lut

Rockin' in the free world
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
I wish I woulda tried a bit harder! Next time I will for sure(hopefully soon?)

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
loving all the input so far....bump for more voters :thumbs up

will be voting soon, still debating

Jspec Ej6

Sam
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Still debating on which one i want to vote for, don't know when i'm going to have some time to actually really look at all the pictures.....

hey John, when are the polls going to be closed?

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
11-24-08....you got 6 more days :thumbup:

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
#1 - i like it, but something about the composition of the photo isnt working for me...
#2 - i really like the colors, and love the location, but the QUALITY of the actual photo isnt up to par with your usual - it almost looks blurry, but without actually being blurry....not sharp/crisp enough....
#3 - this picture is awesome :lol: composition was great, location was great, the colors were all there, and it was nice and crisp...
#4 - interesting photo, i liked the location you chose...alot of red / brown in the pic without having any actual fall foliage :lol:
#5 - nice photo...i liked the colors and the composition, this was one of my fav's out of the bunch...
#6 - i think this is a decent picture, but could have used a little more planning...i feel you just went out and found the first pair of leaves you could find....
#7 - i really love the colors, but this picture also doesnt seem that "sharp" to me :what: nice picture, but i guess just not my favorite out of the group...
#8 - this was one of my favorites, but i think the people in the center kind of killed it for me....other than that, this was a GREAT picture :thumbup:
#9 - i think this would have been perfect for a "winter" seasonal contest...great picture, just didnt really fit the "fall/autumn" theme, at least imo
#10 - i like th colors, and how it shows the action of the kids (in south florida where every tree is green all year round) having fun during a dead-leaf fight :lol: (thanks to the relatives that mailed them down)

LowNotSlow

Aqua Teen Christmas Force
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
#1: Sepia tone and an overexposed photo don't work too well, we lost a lot of details and I don't get the feel of autumn.
#2: I don't think your colors transferred well to the internet. It looks like a lot of reds got washed into browns but otherwise it's a nice shot. The difficulty with this kind of shot is visual interest because it can easily turn into a wash of color. Look for a defining point on the coast as a focal point and it breaks up the color.
#3: I wish there was more going on in the sky, it just seems flat.
#4: I think I see what you were going for. Kind of an autumn of life thing, rust starting to creep in and take over as nature reclaims a building.
#5: I think this shot is more about the car than anything else, the composition wouldn't work without the car there. Beautiful spot.
#6: A closer crop around the leaves would knock out a lot of the noise created by the white (snow?) and the misc branches.

#7: I think this shot is another candidate for a cropping. The leaves are the focal point but the trees dictated the shot. Bump the color a bit and crop it and I think it's a real winner.
#8: Nice shot with visual interest. Again, I'd crop a lot of the top and sides out. Having the bright white sky distracts from what could otherwise be a very intimate feeling photo.

#9: Black and white instantly makes this photo feel cold, which when combined with snow makes me see winter. A warmer toned black and white could possibly have pulled it off, but seeing a brightly colored leaf on the stark white snow would be pretty cool.
#10: I like this shot it's fun and full of action. I do wish there were more faces in it though, faces are what makes people photography great, especially when it's a bunch of kids having a good time.

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
This is a VERY hard one... Wish I could've had time to turn in an entry.

duFf_M@N

...""peep show""...
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
voted for #8

#1. Too bright for my liking

#2. not enough happening

#3. I can't quite put my finger on this one. It was my second choice though

#4. I've done too many shots like those, and it bored me.

#5. Is it just me, but it looks blurry. I do like that tree though

#6. Nice pic, but not doing for me

#7. Looks grainy, but otherwise nice pic.

#8. For me hands down the winner. I really like the depth, and feel. Reminds me of NYC for some reason. Walking around in central park. Great shot

#9. This was my 3rd choice. We need more black and whites around here.

#10. Sorry that was a poor attempt.

42Steps

Welcome my son....
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Allright ladies and gents, its been a while since I've been around, but I'm alway happy to give my opinion on these contests.

s**t, I used to run them. :lol:

First off there are some really good photos here. Some of them really gather the color and feel of autumn, while others have great compositions. Definitely some good ideas, but whether they came across or not is a different story.

• Photo 1
    I don't like color washes. I think the intrinsic beauty of color brought from the autumn season should be what you are trying to capture with this contest. To negate any hint of that with a bland color wash is not a good idea. I know what you were trying to do, but I just don't think it works. Rather, you should have kept the original colors and used a very subtle red color wash to give it a nice autumn feel. The darkness on the left side completely overpowers the right, as well. Good photos, or any art for that matter, really rely on balance. Its more pleasing to the eye and also allows you to completely explore a composition without being taken hold of by one portion. Keep practicing, you have a lot of potential.
  • Photo 2
    GREAT colors. Vibrant, contrasting yet complementary, and there isn't one overwhelming color. However, you have no clarity within your photo. The trees are fuzzy, and give it a somewhat surrealistic look, something that contrasts too much with the otherwise realistic portrayal. Also, the sky is very bland. Granted its probably not your fault for that, more nature then anything, but the real power of a good photographer is patience. You have to wait for that composition that is just right. You probably don't care THAT much about this contest, but it is something to keep in mind.
  • Photo 3
    This is a very nice photo. It protrays a very calm atmosphere in which people live. A nice retreat for otherwise stressed people. Unfortunately it is also a bland composition. Although it is calm I don't find it showing any other emotion. There is nothing that draws me into the photo. I like the colors, and the houses contrast nicely with the surrounding trees, but otherwise it seems like an otherwise everyday view. I don't know what is farther to the right of the photo, but I would have shifted your perspective that way. The difference between depth from where the houses are and where the lake (?) opens up farther would have been a nice composition. You could have had very keen clarity in the trees with the red roofed house and then the depth generated by the other shore. Mix it up, add some expression to it and you are good to go.
  • Photo 4
    A well taken photo. The difference of clarity between the railing and the building behind it adds a lot to the photo. It shows what is supposed to be the prominent figure while still allowing you to visualize the rest of the environment. I would have tried to shift your colors to a slightly more vibrant red spectrum, but otherwise they are good. My biggest gripe with this photo is the fact that I don't think it fits with the theme. A rusting hand rail doesn't really protray the natural beauty that is the autumn season, it shows a slow sad decay of civilization. Again, I know what you were going for, but it just doesn't fit.
  • Photo 5
    I'm pretty sure I know for certain who took this photo. :lol: I would recognize his style anywhere, not too mention the car coupled with it. As always with the artist, the colors, clarity, and overall composition are outstanding. The red/orange from the tree in the foreground really pops. It draws your attention to it, and holds it, while not being so overbearing that you don't look at the rest of the photo. It also mixes quite well with the green that is otherwise prevalent. I personally think that the car is much to powerful, though. It draws away from the great autumn setting, the true theme of the contest. I would have also cropped a bit more off of the bottom, too much white space covered with asphalt. I think that would have made me much happier with it. Otherwise, excellent work as always........ M. :lol:
  • Photo 6
    Very nice. Unlike most of the other photos you chose a very cool color scheme. All of the colors mesh well, and you are drawn to the main subject, the withering green leaf. I really don't have much to say about this one. Its really good. I would love to have it as my background. It would have gotten my vote if I wasn't blown away by another photo.
  • Photo 7
    Not bad. A fairly good composition, with the nice prevailing red color. Unfortunately I really think you should have captured more of the limb in the foreground. I see it and all I can think is I want to see MORE of it. THe trunks are nice, but there really isn't much going on. If you had more clarity with the leaves on the ground I would not have noticed it quite as much, but as it is it just needs more going on. Also, the colors are a little washed out. But definitely a nice idea, just a few adjustments needed.
  • Photo 8
    Wow. There is so much going on, but its not overwhelming. It shows the immense amount of natural beauty there is in the world. So much detail is there that it all meshes very well together. I would love to walk down that road. The green is prevalent in the trees, while the yellow fallen leaves really add a lot of movement to the ground, add a splash of blue from the sky and street lines and the color scheme ("cool" colors) really adds a calming effect to the otherwise energetic photo. The only thing I would change is to remove the people, or replace them with one lone person dressed in a vibrant red or yellow. You got my vote.
  • Photo 9
    It looks to me like the theme was working against your current weather. This isn't autumn, its winter. Sorry, but that is the truth of it. You completely removed all color from the photo, something that is very deeply associated with autumn, vibrant colors. The composition itself is good. You have a main subject with various things to keep you occupied in the whitespace. I just wish there was color.
  • Photo 10
    A good idea. What you were trying to portray is fairly well captured. Lots of movement, which is synonymous with joyfull youth. The human figures are well represented while not having the complexity of a face or anything otherwise to detract from the rest of the photo. My biggest gripe is that there is too much going on. Although I would categorize the girl in the tan hoodie as the main figure there is nothing that really draws you to want to see more of it. Also, other then the very sparce amount of leaves shown in the photo there is nothing that really links it to the theme. Energetic kids playing is closely associated with summer or spring, when they are encouraged to go out and play in the warm weather. Don't get me wrong, kids should be playing all the time, its what they do, but in photos you need to realize that you are trying to portray a certain symbolic meaning. Something that anyone should be able to gather by looking at JUST the photo, with no description.
I hope that helps the photographers. I always enjoy hearing constructive criticism for all of my art work, so I think others deserve that same treatment. :D

Edit: I probably typed way too much. Oh well.

Rand0m

Adamantium Member
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:worthy: good to see you back around

Hecz

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
thanks for the good advice 42steps :thumbup:

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Wow wow wow wow.. 42 Steps is back?

Did hell freeze over?
Heaven burn down?

fliposopher

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
damn 42 steps. thanks for that insightful post. you are damn well articulate when it comes to critiquing photographs. hopefully we get to hear from you again in future contests!

42Steps

Welcome my son....
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
:worthy: good to see you back around
No need to bow, sir. I am but a man. :lol:

bizoneoeh said:
I thought 42steps was Tom? :what:
Not quite. But we do have some of the same hobbies. :smokenana"

Hecz said:
thanks for the good advice 42steps
No problem. Like I said, I like good advice and have a little experience with these things. Might as well share the wealth. :P

No Regrets said:
Wow wow wow wow.. 42 Steps is back?

Did hell freeze over?
Heaven burn down?
Well, I sure didn't fall from heaven. :lol:

fliposopher said:
damn 42 steps. thanks for that insightful post. you are damn well articulate when it comes to critiquing photographs. hopefully we get to hear from you again in future contests!
I enjoy critiquing art. I have a knack for it, too. :lol:
I'll try to stop by more often, but I hardly think about it. I'm really busy with work, school, and good old debauchery. :thumbs up

Mr. Jollypants

Mr. f**king Jollypants
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
No. You WILL stop by every damn day and bring that post count up. I want it to 7000 by December :lol:

Shiznit

Stickin it to the Man
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i voted for 3
5 woulda had it but the car blocks out most of the autumn theme from the picture

sohclubkid

Sick 6/6
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
1. the sepia tone kills it for me.
2 seems blurry and kind of plain...
3. my vote because it had amazing color to it, and it screamed autumn.
4. didnt see how that pertained to autumn...?
5 really close second! i loved the photo, but the car kinda stuck out too much IMO.
6. i like photos like that... but it didnt have enough in the picture, and was a bit dark.
7. awesome pic! just not as great as 3 =)
8. another awesome pic!
9. i dont really like B&W, sorry
10. cool pic, but not feeling the motion blur.