VSS Not working

Civiclover16

Sprays NAWWZZ! :)
5+ Year Member
Whats up guys i got a question what could be wrong if my speedometer doesnt work even after replacing it with a new vss. I know for a fact that the sensor is good. I replaced and my speedometer still dont work. Any help is greatly appreciated guys. And oh yea im rollin in a 97 civic hatch running on a obd1 gsr chipped p72

cvcrcr99

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Odometer works or no? When did this problem start?

If the speedo and odo don't work, and you know that the sensor is good. Break out the multimeter and start checking the harness for issues. Everytime I have had VSS issues, the harness was to blame.

AlaskaB16

DOING WORK!
Registered VIP
There's a recent thread around here with the same problem. I believe he replaced his gauge cluster and VSS, still no fix. Not sure what he did after that. Must have been 3 weeks ago or so?? Have you checked your cluster yet?

Civiclover16

5+ Year Member
No my odometer isn't working either; and this has been going on for about a month now. and as far as checking the harness should i start from the VSS and work my way back?

HatchmanEJ6

Mmmonocle smile!
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you absolutely sure it isnt the sensor? I JUST had this issue myself and turns out it was the sensor after taking a 3rd look.. Take a look and make sure this is no corrosion inside the sensor. it could also be fuse 15 possibly under the dash. Or another issue such as the engine wire harness is rubbing on the intake
manifold bracket.

check the link.

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/civic/x99-029e.pdf

Civiclover16

5+ Year Member
Yea im pretty sure its not it but ill do a second continuity test to confirm n thanks for the diagram