VSS problems no codes ?!?

Dcthecivicking

Speedo and Odometer stopped working completely , no codes have popped up on dash and everything is connected ... I pulled the VSS out of tranny looks brand new no nicks or cracks in the crank or crankshaft ... So confused please any help is appriciated

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
These speed sensors wear out internally, but they usually tend to bounce erratically or go on & off as they reach the point of full failure.

Make sure the connectors are clean and snap together at least a little snuggly, meaning the terminals are making good contact. If it just slides on with no resistance then use a thin tipped screw driver or something to very gently bend the speed sensors pins towards the front of the car when mounted.

Last edited:

Dcthecivicking

Only problem is on my 1.6l sohc 1999 Ex I have to remove intake Mani just to get to any of these relays and connectors ... Such a hassle might have to though , Thanks HEX

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Only problem is on my 1.6l sohc 1999 Ex I have to remove intake Mani just to get to any of these relays and connectors ... Such a hassle might have to though , Thanks HEX
Umm, you dont need to remove anything. The speed sensor is easily reachable from around the air intake tube, as is the plug. You can easily inspect and adjust it as I suggested from the top without removing anything nearby.

Last edited:

Dcthecivicking

Umm, you dont need to remove anything. The speed sensor is easily reachable from around the air intake tube, as is the plug. You can easily inspect and adjust it as I suggested from the top without removing anything nearby.
I understand VSS is easy in first post I explained I already took it out , and it looms clean and solid ... I think wires , connectors , and relays are all located under MANI

HeX

Authoritah, respected.
Staff member
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
I understand VSS is easy in first post I explained I already took it out , and it looms clean and solid ... I think wires , connectors , and relays are all located under MANI
You've contradicted yourself multiple times now, so somethings wrong with your explanations or you're simply mistaken. Yes, you said you took it out but you did so by removing the intake manifold. I don't understand how you could've removed the speed sensor and still not realize how easy it is to reach it all without simply standing in front of the engine and looking towards the speed sensor from above.

How do you think those things are under the intake manifold if you already reached the speed sensor before? They're not, at all. I should know when I've reached in and removed the plug by hand multiple times as I've removed the speed sensor multiple times only using a 3/8 rachet, extension, and 10mm socket.