vtec controller on d16y8?

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i had thought about getting one of those apex-i vtec controllers, is it a waste of money for a d16y8, or will it actually help out at all? thanks

Szady

D-Series Master
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
Waste of money on a stock motor.

s_crowley 17

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
im pretty sure the honda engineers made vtec hit at 5500 (correct me if im wrong) in order to get the most power...therefore i think a controller would be pointless

Raabe

Hell yea I suck toes!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
dude i work with has a vtec controller on his stock Y8. its just bling for him

JohnS.

BANGARANG
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Get it and lower VTEC crossover to 2000RPM. VTEC = more power, duh. If it's always engaged, you'll have more power.

PS - I hope you don't think I'm serious.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i was just wondering about it, i seen them a few times didnt know if they were worth it for a d16 but i got my answer and ill pass, just keep my pennys for my turbo kit,

Jas0nEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Oh... it might be fun to have. I'm thinking of picking one up, just 'cause a friend has one he'll sell me for about $70, which ... I could double that selling it on a local forum if I didn't like it so why not?

Plus, it doubles as an air/fuel gauge, which is at least diagnostically useful if the car ever starts acting up.

I'd thought about setting it so that VTEC kicks in around 4500, just 'cause with the way I drive (often like a grandma) I almost never hit it at 5500 even getting on the highway. I guess the biggest concern would be: could I manage the disengage point? My biggest frustration with this VTEC thing is that with my engine and gearing, it isn't really possible to maintain VTEC engagement when shifting, say from second to third gear. I do not know for sure, I've heard that VTEC disengages lower than 5500 rpm, so you can in theory shift while in VTEC and be there again when you come back in the next gear, but the numbers don't seem to line up... that's got to do with gearing obviously, but if I shift at redline in second gear and that speed only corresponds to landing at 4000 RPM in third, won't I be off of VTEC for a while?

I dunno. I think you might as well get it if you're interested.

R3dline

Respected
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
i corrected it for the spelling nazi , feel better?