VTEC Conversion! Please Help

toxicity359

5+ Year Member
I am looking to put a D15B VTEC into my 92 lx and was wondering how to wire up my vtec and what ECU i might need,even if i dont wire up VTEC at the moment will it run fine on my Stock ECU?

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
to wire vtec, first you must have a vtec head. Simply wiring a vtec solenoid and using a vtec ecu will NOT do a thing, unless you have it all wired to the right cylinder head. :google:, if you look hard enough, you'll find the answer.

toxicity359

5+ Year Member
im putting a VTEC Engine in it. i dont need a head if the engine is compatible, do u think Stock ecu will run the engine fine if i dont care to wire up VTEC at the moment?

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
you need to be more specific. What ecu are you planning/wanting to run on what motor?

jon31562

mmmm..turbo?
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if its a v-tec motor then wire up the soleniod and get a p28 ecu... go to rywire.com they got chipped p28 ecu for like 200 bucks i'm pretty sure you have an ecu for a v-tec to make it work correctly...

toxicity359

5+ Year Member
so, i bought a D15B JDM motor (VTEC OBD1) and im putting it in my 92 lx (D15B7 USDM Non-VTEC OBD1)
i will eventually want to run VTEC to a P28 ECU, my question for the time being is, will my Stock USDM P06 ECU run the JDM engine without any major problems?

nicoyita1

I eat rice. And beans.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
it should run fine, however I'm not sure what major differences there are in each harness (different sensors, etc...) I believe at most you would just get a CEL because the lx motor has a sensor that the JDM motor doesn't or vice versa, shouldn't be too big a deal though. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
also one more thing to keep in mind to make your life a little easier. honda was nice enough to go ahead and wire up v-tec half way for you. the 92 (and 92 only. doesnt matter what trim or engine) was already wired up from the factory from the ecu to the strut tower. all you gotta do is wire from the solenoid to the plug on the strut tower.