VTEC head on a B18b engine

Dakota

Canuck Civic driver
5+ Year Member
Got a 92 Civic hatch with a D15b7 engine , and I am going to slam in a B18b from a 91 Teg . This engine is , of course , a non-VTEC engine (rated 130HP) . Althought the little bit of extra horses is nice , its just not nearly enough . I came across an article online about making what they called a 'Frankenstein' engine , by putting a VTEC head from a B16a or B18c engine , and using its ECU . there is also some wiring mods to be done , but when its all said and done , this should add an extra 40 horses or so (still not quite enough power , so I am also adding a turbo!) . Has anybody done this? What kind of problems can be encountered with this?

k624ash

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
i personaly would just buy a gsr or b16 engine, but you have a lot of reading and learning before you make up your mind

95civicvx

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Its called ls/vtec And its not just bolt on and go. Research on honda-tech

Dakota

Canuck Civic driver
5+ Year Member
Its called ls/vtec And its not just bolt on and go. Research on honda-tech
I know its not just bolt on and go , but being a professional mechanic for the last 16 years , I know that I have the tools and the skills needed to do the job . The reason I am using the B18b engine is because I already have it (well , sort of , its in my buddy's car - I just have to pull it!) . I want to make a power house for the least amount of money . Obviously , its only going to cost me parts . Not having done this before , though , I was seeing if someone has , and can pass some pointers on to me . I was not asking if I should do it , because I have alreaduy decided . I know what I want to do , and really don't need certain people telling me how I should make my ride .

somejaykid

i'm a mod now
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
hey man if you want power ASAP i suggest buy a different car, you can make a honda fast but it will take time and money to get it were you want it to be. i suggest purchasing a v8 for your need:D

Dakota

Canuck Civic driver
5+ Year Member
hey man if you want power ASAP i suggest buy a different car, you can make a honda fast but it will take time and money to get it were you want it to be. i suggest purchasing a v8 for your need:D
Again , I don't need people telling me what to buy or what engine to run - I just want pointers on this mod . As it is , I already have a v-8 vehicle . And I am not trying to do this quick , I know its going to take a while - that's part of the fun . Please - just pointers and advice on the build !

RottenEG6

EG King
5+ Year Member
not trying to tell u what to do because in the end its ur money, but if ur set on the b18b dont waste ur time vtec'n it if ur gonna boost it...just use what u got and and slap a turbo on, b18b enjoy boost like fly on s**t...vtec is just a quick fix for ur power...but if ur set on it..heres ur bible

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1923227

Dakota

Canuck Civic driver
5+ Year Member
not trying to tell u what to do because in the end its ur money, but if ur set on the b18b dont waste ur time vtec'n it if ur gonna boost it...just use what u got and and slap a turbo on, b18b enjoy boost like fly on s**t...vtec is just a quick fix for ur power...but if ur set on it..heres ur bible

http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1923227
Thanks - I was reading the link from USDM EJ6's post , and was starting to come to the same conclusion . This is what I wanted - advice on what I got , not someone telling me to run what they think I should run . I do appreciate it . I realize that most of the people who post on here are not the most knowledgable on mechanics , as they do it on their car , and maybe their buddy's car , but this is what I do for a living . The big reason I ask for advise is that I work in a GM dealership , and therefor don't see a whole lot of anything other than GMs . This means if you got a GM , I more than likly can fix it in my sleep . But anything else , and I am unsure of anything past the basics.

RottenEG6

EG King
5+ Year Member
tell me about it, being a "older" person trying to get information u need on here is like a popularity contest in high school and everyone feels that there way is better than what u think and need to tell u how to spend ur money. i too am a mechanic but just diesel mechanic and for the US Navy...different world lol.

the best thing (down here idk for u guys) is that a b18b long block can be found for dirt cheap so once u get the swap in and boost it and blow something..300bucks will get u back on the road with a stock long block, or u can build one for cheap.

i coulda used u about a year ago when my supercharged cobalt's number 4 piston cracked a ring land lol.

Destroy

Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
tell me about it, being a "older" person trying to get information u need on here is like a popularity contest in high school and everyone feels that there way is better than what u think and need to tell u how to spend ur money..
If that's the case quit posting and consider taking your opinions somewhere else, we don't need that here.

oddeb707

R.I.P Stephen Jackson
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
just swap in a j30 and call it a day

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
FYI, the 90-93 integra is a b18a1, if you have a b18b, it is a 94 up engine.

RottenEG6

EG King
5+ Year Member
If that's the case quit posting and consider taking your opinions somewhere else, we don't need that here.
or some of the senior members of this site can change there way of thinking and not turn the site off to new people..cuz its obvious that i'm not the only one that felt that way in 2 days of being on this site. the site has alot of information and a great setup...just sad that some of the senior members cant follow rule number 9 on the forum rules and dont get nothing said to them because they are a senior member.

stupidguy10

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
its not like theyre saying....hey do this or i will hate you or you fail at life if you dont do this....just throwing out ideas for the guy...notta real big deal....thats what a forum is for....too provide information and get your opinion out there....just my 2 cents....btw OP the setup will be sick

RottenEG6

EG King
5+ Year Member
understandable and i have no problem with that and im sure the OP doesnt either..but when u ask for information on a certain thing and all people do is this..
i personaly would just buy a gsr or b16 engine, but you have a lot of reading and learning before you make up your mind
not only is it disrespectful but it pisses u off. he didnt ask "what should i do with my money" or "hey i want a fast car think a civic or v8?"

he asked for information on a LS/Vtec so thats what he should have got, but thats my opinion.

Dakota

Canuck Civic driver
5+ Year Member
I appreciate opinions as much as anyone , but I asked for tips and pointers on the engine I am getting and the car I already have . I am building the engine myself , and was hoping to avoid any pitfalls some one else may have encountered . I also appreciate that there are alot of people out there that have way more Honda knowledge than me . I am not too proud to ask for help on something that I am not overly familiar with . That's one of the ways how I learn . My problem is people who think that if I don't do things the exact way they have done it , then its just a bunch of s**t! I have realised a long time ago that there is more than one way to accomplish the same conclusion . I hope that I am not turning away any new members - thats not my intentions . On the contrary , I welcome any new point of views , as long as they are not the narrow view of some of the existing people . I have no problems with constuctive advise and critism . As a matter of fact , I welcome it . When RottenEG6 gave me his opinion , it was on what he has learned about this type of work , and so he passed it on . I read what he said , and it made sense . Lets try to stick to that , okay people .

BTW - 12.8:1 Ls/vtec - I have double checked online , and the 91 Teg GS that my buddy has , according to the site I was on , has the B18b . Another site I checked showed the Teg indeed having the B18a1 . Are you positive about the engine , because now I'm not!

RottenEG6

EG King
5+ Year Member
only way to really know is take a picture of the block. plain and simple...we can guess all night on what should be in there but like 95% of hondas out here it could have been modded.

12.8:1 Ls/vtec

IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAND!!
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
The 90-93 integra has a b18a1, but who's to say that someone didn't blow the older motor and replace it with a b18b, just as easy as putting another b18a in there except the b18b is a little more powerful due to its more aggressive camshafts.
If I were you I'd buy some small things to make it a little safer to rev on
Arp rod bolts
Since you are rebuilding it I'd get some p30 pistons to make it more powerful than the low compression Ls pistons you would have.
look here for some good info...
http://www.sportcompactcarweb.com/tech/0411scc_ls_vtech_engine/index.html

dewskie dew Eg6

5+ Year Member
yeah ls vtec thats what im planniing on doing in my hatch or b20 vtec but i have heard its better then just swpping in a gsr because they have a little more tourqe probbley because of the longer stroke just make sure you use a golden eagle ls vtec conversion kit