5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
yes, its actually a forum rule.
to stay on topic.

Last edited:

Kingjames83

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
vtec was created by Honda racing R&D department in the early 80's I believe for strickly there race cars. They had great success with it so that is why they brought it to there street vehicles shortly after. Also notice how other major automotive corperations have copied they same technology? Therefore its clearly not overrated just over hyped.

Steven.

Formally Green 91
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
to really end this discussion.

Saying VTEC is overrated or not, is a OPINION. no one can prove its overrated, there are not FACTS to prove it is overrated.

my opinion, it is overrated, like i have been saying for years.

Last edited:

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
thats funny:lol: v6 stang haaahaaaaaa.........:evil:
its the truth. drive a honda with a built LS. Swap heads to a GSR head, and make 40+ more horsepower.

i guess its the same with d-series. all motor A6, vs all motor Z6.

0royalblue6

Nor-Cal User
5+ Year Member
um not to thro a wrench into this very interesting conversation but it seems as if everyone is talking about vtec like it is a general thing but correct me if im wrong but isnt there 3 types of vtec and each performs differently because its my understanding that early motors with vtec simply had different cam lobes that change at a standard rpm, and not much different the i-vtec changed at more appropiate time due to engine load, rpm, ect. and then the newest for of i-vtec specificaly that in the r18a1 (2006+civic non-si's) that it runs a very conservative cam setting the switches to a more normal cam setting so the differnces would be the first to are are for more high rpm hp but low rpm fuel economy yet the third is for super economy but with drivability so in conclusion its imposible to say that vtec is overratted, over hyped, or over anything because it is proggressing and changing and being used for different applications thus making it impossible to even generalize it at all! my .02

kyle10182

NA is Best
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
well, i think what we're talking about is the earlier VTEC. the '88-'00 VTEC.