vtech head on y8?

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
one more question guys...does this mean i will need to buy ex parts instead of lx(for further repairs or mods) because i have a d16y8? im thinking yes...noob question i know but yea...a quick question

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
for your engine, yes.

the rest of the car, no lol

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
smog, yes.

referee, thats a different story. since its a single cam you shouldnt have a problem with a cop knowing the difference, but if your intake isnt CARB legal your gonna have problems and thats a whole different headache that i wont get into.

if the time ever comes PM me about it, ive dealt with the referee many times for the exact same engine.

00 Coupe EK3

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
one more question guys...does this mean i will need to buy ex parts instead of lx(for further repairs or mods) because i have a d16y8? im thinking yes...noob question i know but yea...a quick question
That question is kinda vague, but it depends on engine part, that would be any time you would need to buy parts for an ex

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok yea the intake is C.A.R.B. legal and i plan to get a legal one for the new throttle body so that shouldnt be a problem. and what do you mean by referee??

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
if you get pulled over by a cop and they look under your hood and they find an engine thats not supposed to be there or non CARB legal parts they can send you to the state ref.

you have to go to a california referee station, i know there is one in modesto and one in sac, probably more down your way too. what you do is call the BAR and set up an appointment and go to the station of your choice.

when you get there they will do three tests: visual, comprehensive, and emissions is what they are called i think

VISUAL: the referee will look over the car making sure all wires are loomed, nothings frayed, broken, jerry-rigged etc. and that all the parts/sensors that are required are there.

COMPREHENSIVE: this is where the ref will go over your engine/exhaust system with a fine tooth comb. hell check, cross check, and re check every number on your engine/tranny and make sure all parts for that engine are being used and so on. this is the hard part to pass. EVERYTHING has to be perfect, like right from the factory perfect.

EMISSIONS: pretty self explanatory, just your basic smog check.

if you pass all 3 tests theyll give you a plate that goes in the drivers side door jamb stating that the engine in that car is ok for THAT car. i beleive if you ever change the engine again youll have to get reffed again.

some people go to the ref because they are required to, some go because they want to run a jdm motor or a hybrid motor and not get in trouble. for example, someone will take a b16a2 and get it reffed in a 2000 ex then go home and swap a b18c/b16b or something a long those lines and be good because a cop wont know the difference, unless theyre honda savvy. others will go and ref an LS and then go home and put a b16 head for LSVTEC and be good to go because a cop will see "B18b" on the ref plate and see "B18b" on the block and assume its the same engine.

got it? lol

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
wow....so if that happens then i will need to do that? but if everything is done right then it will pass that stuff no problem right?
i mean a y7 and a y8 arent that much different are they? cuz 98 lx's should have a y7...

96swpdEK

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
yea, you should be alright.

if you ever get pulled over and a cop asks you to pop your hood and he sees a single cam with a CARB legal intake he wont even look twice.

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
ok thanks...yea cuz the intake will be legal with the sticker on it and everything..i dont think im going to mess with the exhaust...alls that does is attract attention from cops.

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Dudes....I think whoever had my car before converted it from auto to manual...does anybody kno of anything negative that could happen when doing that? I mean you kno...assuming they did everything right

SGGilmo

Yay, Another Car.
Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
Dudes....I think whoever had my car before converted it from auto to manual...does anybody kno of anything negative that could happen when doing that? I mean you kno...assuming they did everything right
best thing for you to do is to run yur in er threw an online vin checker and see what all has been changed. sounds like quite a bit. make sure you use the vin on the dash.

heres the one i use from time to time.

http://www.decodethis.com/Default.aspx

it will tell you everything about your car.

civic209

Registered VIP
5+ Year Member
did it have a smog sticker from before?
well it had the smog receipt that the previous owner did before my brother had it was sold to my brother bout 10 months ago and it said on there the trans was manual. it passed and everything.

and yea i checked it and it says No/std under Manual/Auto trans....
and under style it says 4-Door Sedan LX Auto.
so im guessing it was converted to manual. but i guess everything was done right cuz it passed smog

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
if it passed before, u are good there, but make sure to have no CEL after doing the head swap..

mymmeryloss

RHD is where its at
Registered VIP
Registered OG
5+ Year Member
10+ Year Member
ya candy eating lobsters..

no check engine light lol